Help with the avocado tree

Thats definitely interesting, Mark. I’m still figuring out ripening times for different varieties here. Can you tell me when Hass and other varieties (Reed, Lamb, Bacon would be useful) ripen for you in your location? I can then map back to see if I am picking Palo d’Oro at the right time.

2 Likes

In my climate, Hass has an incredibly long season. They are not bad by late spring, good by midsummer, and great in fall, even into early winter. Oil content just goes up throughout that entire period.

Lamb is probably centered on late summer early fall, but that is based on experience of others, not myself as that one did not work for me. Unclear why. Not a problem, since I don’t like it as much as the incredible, if super common, Hass.

I don’t know about Bacon, since I don’t grow it, but my understanding it ripen much earlier than Hass.

Reed is ripe in autumn, at least by September.

Stewart is ripe around Thanksgiving (from fruit that formed that year, e.g., 10 months or so on the tree).

Ardith is ripe in fall (October-ish).

Still learning about others, like Gem and Carmen, from which I have fruit set but none ripe yet.

The avocado ripening times you can find in charts by Greg Alder and others who grow in San Diego or Orange county seem approximately right for my climate if you add a couple of months to them.

1 Like

We have been picking Reed for a few weeks now. I can say for sure, in texture, this is the smoothest avocado I’ve tasted. On flavor, I slightly prefer Lamb Hass which has more strong flavor but Reed is also very good. My wife prefers Reed over Lamb Hass and rates it as her favorite so far.

2 Likes

Yes, the smooth, buttery texture of Reed is fantastic. The flavor is excellent, too.

1 Like