Help with tree leaf problems. Honey locusts

Hello everyone. I have four honey locust trees that I have been growing from seed. I don’t quite know the type of honey locust tree that they are. I will post a picture of the mother with these. Up until 4 weeks ago I have not had any problems with them. But for some reason the leaves have been turning yellow and falling off. On some of the leaves they are burnt on the tips. So to recap the last few months. I planted them in the early spring when they were dormant. They were whips that I cut at 6‘8“. They produced new branches and were growing well. I placed some leaves mixed with compost manure underneath them and they did amazing. They have been awesome up until 4 weeks ago. I rigged a watering system so that I could manually water all four trees at once. I watered them manually since I have planted them. They are also getting sprayed by Sprinkler‘s. I have measured the water output from the sprinkler and it is roughly 1 inch per week on the area. I was thinking they were waterlogged from me manually watering them two times a week and the sprinkler system. So about two weeks ago I stopped watering. I have just let the sprinklers do the work. The only other change is that I placed some fertilizer on the trees about one month ago and then followed up with A little ammonium sulfate that I had left over about two weeks ago. Does this look like fertilizer burn? Or an overwatered tree? Or both?

Mother tree early spring

Uploading: 2C691C60-65BA-4535-ADF4-2DE9A2FA0A8F.jpeg… Uploading: 0AF5D1BA-5C4C-4A8A-B8B4-D2F94975F7AF.jpeg… Uploading: 84969540-4EDA-4924-8EE3-FDA8FCAA7C79.jpeg… Uploading: A2CD98D9-86C4-4187-A470-7422A513C268.jpeg… Uploading: F3270DE6-F5E9-416A-80E5-F7CCA52BC776.jpeg… Uploading: AC734EFE-CF9F-477D-8F7E-2D81FA91FDEC.jpeg…

1 Like

Seed trees

2 Likes

Heat stress?

2 Likes

It’s not broken, so don’t fix it.

2 Likes

Heat stress, also.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input.

So I should keep watering as I have been? Two of the four trees are perfect with no issues at all. The other two trees are the ones with the yellow leaves. So I would think if I was over watering it would show on all four trees since I was watering them all the same?

When you say heat stress does that maybe mean I’m not watering enough? Or does that mean the heat is burning the leaves?

If my sprinklers are watering 1 inch of water on the area how much additional water would I need? I know a lot of it will depend on soil, daytime temperatures, tree stage. But I just don’t know how much 1 inch of water per week would equate as far as gallons go. I also have no idea what a honey locust tree would look like if it was underwatered

It’s about 90 to 100° outside. The soil is Lomey clay. They are covered with a mixture of leaves and compost bought from the store.

Also if it is heat stress is there anything I can do about it or should I just not worry? Heat stress would fit the picture perfect. I just don’t know why two trees would do it but not the other.

1 Like

Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Haha. Fruitnut. What does the heart mean

1 Like

It means I like your post and effort…!!

1 Like

Lol. Well. The trees I grew from a seed so… they are kind of like my kids. :blush:

1 Like

From a more experienced grower, it means a lot of encouragement to the poster, at least to me.

1 Like

Cool

1 Like