Herb of the Year 2023 (Ginger)

I freeze mine for Mexican dishes, I got the idea from Jacques Pepin.

Only use it for stir fries maybe 2-3 times yearly so I just buy mine!

1 Like

I wish my ginger spread as wide it can. Unfortunately my ginger is about the same size as it was planted at end of the season

3 Likes

What variety of Myoga ginger do you grow? It seems there are many ornamental varieties. Wondering what type is best for culinary use. I see that the shoots are used, rather than the tubers (corms?) What’s the harvest period and yield like?

1 Like

It’s a self seeding annual. So you’ll find it next year where you planted the prior year

I grow a generic variety with no variegation like the ornamental ones. The shoots emerge in May and are best if covered with a bucket to keep them pale. Then comes a large harvest of flower buds in August and September. That yield is substantial and what I look forward to. I get hundreds of flower buds from a couple patches. Reports show it’s hardy to zone 5b with mulch protection.

3 Likes

Sounds promising. Might you have any to share or can you point me to a source of your generic variety?

1 Like

I like mine Organic so that’s why I like to grow ginger.

Both cilantro and parsley sometimes overwinter here in S NY and I doubt a gardener who has grown both would ever confuse the two. Also, their seed survives winter. and cilantro quickly goes to seed- those seeds sometimes grow in late summer and become plants that survive winter, but some don’t think their leaves are as tasty as those from younger plants by the time the next season comes. When the sprout early enough they are a fall blessing.

I don’t have to ever plant cilantro seeds, even when we have too much cold and too little snow for the plants to survive winter- the seeds will reliably sprout out in early spring while parsley does not reliably go to seed before cold kills it and it also isn’t as competitive even when it sprouts from seed from the previous year. I don’t think the plants themselves usually survive winter here, but they may have one year a while back.

1 Like

I have a similar experience with parsley and cilantro here in southern Michigan. Parsley will actually survive the winter and seed itself. Cilantro doesn’t survive the winter but seeds itself and sprouts early. In the photos you can see how parsley is going strong after a zone 5/6 winter, cilantro just starting to sprout with tarragon, sage, and thyme in the background.

5 Likes

Exactly what happens in my yard. Every spring, millions little parsley seeds sprout and grow like weeds. Overwintered parsleys start send out flower stalk.

2 Likes

Only dill reseeds here, not parsley, but they come back.

1 Like

Were the plants covered with snow during the coldest spells? That seems to be a factor here.

This is the first recipe I am trying.

Sweet Woodruff May Wine - Fruit in the Kitchen - Growing Fruit

1 Like

Snow, leaves, and a protected spot.

1 Like

What cultivar is that, or did you just plant it from the grocery store ginger? I was not sure whether ginger would survive the winter here in Seattle, but if it is for you then it should for me, too.

I would love to have a ginger jungle in one corner of my yard.

4 Likes

Make sure you soak grocery store ginger for a bit before planting, I’ve read some has root inhibitors applied.

3 Likes

If you like parsley then you’d almost certainly love Oenanthe javanica (aka “water celery”). Despite its English name it tastes very similar to parsley, but is a true perennial and will not need replanting each year like the biennial parsley. I grow a clone called ‘Flamingo’ which has white-pink variegation. It looks good, but more importantly the color makes it easy to find and harvest in the garden with confidence so if you have any of the other similar looking carrot family plants around which are NOT edible you won’t get them mixed up by accident.

5 Likes

One thing to keep in mind with that one, it’s listed as an invasive species in a few states (not here in the PNW though):

2 Likes

It’s far less invasive than apple trees, but I do contain it in the garden as it spreads vegetatively (I haven’t seen any seed set on it so far). It’s easy if you just grow it in a large planter or submerged tub. It loves moisture, so can also be contained by planting it where the surrounding area will be too dry for spread.

Interestingly even though it is listed as invasive in New Hampshire iNaturalist doesn’t even have any sightings for it documented there (doesn’t mean it isn’t present, just indicates it is probably not commonly found). I suspect the state may just be listing it as invasive out of abundant caution. Even in Wisconsin where it is also listed as invasive, the iNaturalist sightings are only a total of eight in four different spots (meaning the same population was probably documented more than once).

2 Likes