Herb of the Year 2023 (Ginger)

Some time ago I during one of those mother day arboretum sales. I was introduced to the Herb of the year. That year 2014 was artemisia, Wormwood, Tarragon etc. This year’s herb is Ginger and I know a lot of forum members already grow it. So lets all dig though the bottom of our fridge and plant some Ginger.

2023 Herb of the Year (paherbfest.com)

Also the herbs for 2024 and 2025, Yarrow and Camomile have already been selected. I am going to get started now since it might need two seasons to fully develop.

Herb of the Year™ - The International Herb Association (iherb.org)

PS: I Lets also do a Growing Fruit herb of the year. I really wanted everyone to grow Parsley this year, and Sweetwood ruff next year. Parsley is so underrated as flavor for cooking with. It can take both seafood and beef to the next level when used properly.

7 Likes

I have parsley grow in the yard. It smells like gasoline, I rarely use it. I also have sweet Woodruff , how do I use it as a herb? The herb I use the most is the oregano.

3 Likes

Never heard parsley described that way. I will make a couple threads so we can all discuss options later.

2 Likes

I love parsley but I can’t grow ginger. I bought 2 plants and they died on me. But I have tons of oregano, and lots of French tarragon. Lots of chives here too, I’ve been successful in keep them from spreading.

2 Likes

Did I send you Myoga ginger to try last year? That’s an exceptionally easy ginger to grow in the Mid-Atlantic with no problems overwintering so far.

6 Likes

Parsley grows like weeds here. It can overwinter in Chicago land. The second spring it blooms and reseed itself. I have never short if parsley in my yard. I grow ginger in large pot but the roots don’t grow large
I love French tarragon and Mexican tarragon

3 Likes

They ought to make a cologne that smells like french tarragon!

5 Likes

It does smell very nice but I barely use it. I’m trying to incorporate more of this herb to some of the dishes that I’m going to prepare.

Are you sure that you are not really growing Cilantro?

You did thanks alot. I unfortunately lost them to being in an area that was to wet for them.

No. I don’t think cilantro can overwinter here. Although I have never tried to. I think cilantro is annual

1 Like

Green Goddess dressing is the best way to get started with Tarragon.
I to don’t know where to go with it from here but given that my French tarragon survived for the first time and is spreading I will have more chance to use it this year.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a climate thing, we have grown parsley for over 2 decades, and it always smells great. Yet where we have grown it either it’s an annual, or it’s way warmer in the winter than where you live.

I think parsley is biannual, at least the one I have behaved this way

with Cilantro the leaves, roots (coriander) and seeds are all used in cooking. So even if it doesn’t over winter there uses for all of it. Many cultivars are advertised as slow-bolting meaning they do not go to seed quickly. Just use no slow-bolting to guarantee seeds.

I don’t grow cilantro. It sales 4 bundles/$1,I really don’t see any needs to grow it myself

1 Like

I can’t grow cilantro either, but they are very cheap here too.

The problem is needing to the store every other day when I want to use it.

1 Like

If you plant Ginger be ready to contain its spread otherwise it will take over and you will have to chase it disturbing all others around it unless you want a Ginger jungle! Spreads quickly like raspberries
Dennis
Kent, wa

3 Likes

I’m successful with turmeric, So far it’s not spreading, but I have very tough clay.