Hirt's Gardens? (EDIT: Updated w/photos of my order)

Those teeny figs were probably tissue cultured, not seedlings.

1 Like

Yes, surely they were. They looked like seedlings but were no doubt tissue cultured. Which is fine, but the fact that they were so badly infected with fungus gnats, any roots they may have had were so badly damaged, they were goners by the time I got them.

Patty S.

1 Like

For the price, they are great. The thing to be aware of is that they ship when you order, not at an ideal time to plant based on location.

1 Like

Ordered a Meyer Lemon for my mother, it came promptly, in good health, and is still doing great a year later.

1 Like

I noticed that some of the fruit and berries are from Hartmanns on the Hirt site. I ordered some of the fruits from Hartmanns last year, including from the wholesale area of their site even though I only ordered one plant of each variety. Of course, I paid a little more than the wholesale price.

Time to educate Kevin (again) on something he should already know or google…but I’d like to hear it from you guys.

What exactly is a tissue culture plant and why do people seem to be suggestion it is inferior to grafted plants? Also, I’ve often seem people say- as they have here- that small plants are probably tissue cultured. Don’t tiissue cultured plants grow to full size eventually?

Thanks.

My plants from Hirt’s just arrived, and I’m happy with them. The two haskaps are nice little bushes, one with flower buds. My cheap bareroot strawberries are alive, and my expensive potted strawberries look great, with healthy leaves. The raspberry and blackberry plants are on the small side but are healthy.

In answer to the question about tissue culture, there’s nothing inherently wrong with it. Tissue cultured plants start out microscopic, tinier than it’s possible to get with a rooted cutting or other traditional propagation method. Some nurseries take the time to grow them to a bigger size before selling them, so they’re the same size as traditionally-propagated plants, but some sell them at a tiny size.

2 Likes

I ended up taking the gamble since it was just about $32. They came in today and overall I’m happy with my order, especially considering the low price. Don’t get me wrong…they are most definitely very small. But they look extremely healthy, and I see no reason why I can’t leave them in their pot or repot them and let them grow larger before hardening them off and planting them. Here they are for those who are interested:

From left to right, there is a Maxie Yeezeberry Haskap, LSU purple fig, and a Formosa carpet raspberry. The Carpet Raspberry is a complete mystery too me and what little I’ve read says indicates they need just the right conditions to perform well, including a good deal of shade. But I only paid $7.99 and I love to grow unusual things so I figured I’d give it a try. My expectations are very low so I won’t be too disappointed. Anyone grown these and not just read about them?

1 Like

I have grown the Formosa Carpet Raspberry,aka Emerald Carpet or Creeping Raspberry.Mine lasted a couple of years.I didn’t really have a place to let the thing spread out and so the plant was put in a somewhat thick,stone planter,about two feet high.The Winter may been too cold for the roots.
There was never any fruit,but,when doing a nearby job in a fairly new housing development,a couple years ago,I noticed a lot of the plantings along the sidewalks were this one.Some berries even grew.They were sweet,but nothing sensational.Kind of reminded me of one that grows wild around here,called a Salmonberry.
I also spotted another planting about a block away from my place,in a flower bed at a business. Brady

Here is some that is growing over an apartment wall in Seattle

This is the plant that I had

Hey Brady, I seriously appreciate you taking the time to respond in detail with so much great information, especially the photos. I didn’t find much at all by googling the name.

I think the stuff looks pretty neat even without fruit. When I ordered it I did so with the hope that it would make a good substitute for ground ivy with the advantage of possibly providing a little fruit occasionally. Your report somewhat supports that idea, so I take it as good news overall.

As I’ve said, I enjoy growing unusual things and this qualifies so it will be fun to try. Thanks again!

I must give a shout out to Hirt’s Gardens. Ordered these figs Friday, shipped Monday, and they just arrived today–Wednesday. These figs (CH, VDB, and LSU Purple) were only $6-7 each. The CH even has a fig on it! I’ve already ordered some Gooseberries from them earlier this month. If you need something for your garden, check Hirt’s first. Cheap, fast, and great quality! Pics are representative of my Gooseberry experience… some big and some small, but they all work!

2 Likes

Per Dave’s Garden, a garden watchdog site, the reviews are a mixed bag.

Positive 192
Negatve 155
Neutral 42

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/554/#b.

If it were me, I’d shop there carefully.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m always cautious about the big companies giving true to type varieties, especially with mixed reviews. You might not know until it’s too late…

I ordered flowers from them last year, if it’s not right they refund the money, but you have to show proof.

I have had the same problem getting the wrong scions from people here.

1 Like

That’s very fair! I imagine part of that could be from an honest mistake from their seller as well. I know of legitimate well reviewed nurseries selling the wrong varieties for a long time too. It happens, but I hope yours turn out great.

1 Like

Bought a few items from them back when they were on e-bay. Good product for cheap, but tiny plants. Wish they had larger options.

1 Like

Last year I bought a few figs from them and they were small but healthy and they are much larger now and still healthy. A few months ago I bought a Yezberry honeyberry and a hardy kiwi and they both showed up very healthy and are still doing great. The Yezberry was so big I ordered another one and it was big as well. I will be considering them again in the future, especially if my lemon thyme doesn’t survive the winter because it is incredible!

2 Likes

Given how cheap it is, I think they’re still worth a shot. Also, what they send is an actual plant rather than just a cutting that has to be rooted.

1 Like

The other thing is how cheap the shipping is too! I’ve seen double that price. Hirt’s is very reasonable. I only wish they had more selections to offer.