Holy persimmon

I posted a while back that my Dave Wilson Persimmon tree was VERY slow growing. This spring it has taken off and I was baffled this weekend when I saw several pieces of fruit forming on it. Is this typical for a Dave Wilson Fuyu that was planted 2 years ago? The tree is still young so I’m planning to remove them this afternoon. Want it to put all of its energy into roots and upper growth.

That is a good plan to let the your tree grows bigger. Btw, persimmon tends to abort it fruits the first few year anyway.

Tony

Good to know Tony. I am still amazed it put out fruit so early on.

Here is my 7 yrs old Ichi Asian persimmon that is loaded with flowers this year. It will be a large harvest in October.

Tony

1 Like

Do you ever see honey bees on the flowers?

Nope,

Kakis are self fruitful anyway.

Tony

Photo of my Matsumoto Persimmon. Pretty excited about this one as it’s container grown and this will be its first year fruiting, hopefully.

1 Like

SMC,

I hope you will some Kaki fruits this year. One time a lady asked me where can she buy a tree pumpkin like my Ichi. LOL.

Tony

1 Like

I think in South America they call persimmons tomato trees. :grinning: They sure are beautiful when they’re all hanging there in the fall.

1 Like

SMC,

Congrats. How old is your tree?

I got it last spring as a 3 gallon from Just Fruits and Exotics.

I’ve got to say it seems rather weird that all y’all are in cooler to colder zones than I am, but your trees are farther along for the season. Just a few days ago I was thrilled to see what were unmistakably flower buds on my 4th year Ichi, but they haven’t opened yet.

Nothing else I have is this far along. The persimmon has been inside my house for the last three months so it wouldn’t die from the cold.

Muddy,
It baffles me, too. Tony in NE and Tom in IL are both in zone 5. Their trees are about 2-3 weeks ahead of mine and I am in zone 6.

Now yours makes more sense. Persimmons are the very last trees to leaf out for me, and then it’s a while before they bloom.

Well, except for sleepy headed Honeycrisp, which is still only awake on a couple of branches. Our coldest night temps only went into the lower 20’s twice. Once in mid-Jan, and once in the late Feb., and I doubt if any of you have had more Growing Degree hours so far.

Mamuang, yours sounds much more normal.