Honey berry jam galore

From this:

To this:

Bon appétit!

MARC

23 Likes

That looks awesome! What varieties do you have there?

1 Like

Hi:

I have: Berry Blue, Borealis, Cinderella, Tundra and Honeybee. Marc

2 Likes

We got enough that I’d like to do jam but am a bit uncertain about hitting the right acid/sugar levels for shelf-stable.
We don’t have a pressure canner so hot water is how I’ll have to go.
I know they are close to blueberries, but didn’t know if there has been any solid data published on if there enough differences between them to cause issues in safe processing.
What ratios did you use?

Hi:

Blueberries, honey berries and cranberries are small fruits loaded with natural pectine. Keep in mind that honey berries & cranberries are (more?) tarter(?) than blueberries.

I do not like and do not make sweet jam like using 50% fruits and 50% sugar so I use my « normal » ratio which is 1.25 cup of sugar for 5 cups of fruits. But do not forget to put at least 50% cooked fruits in the jar along with 50% (or less) cooked juice because the jam will not set… unless you prefer your jam to be more fluid (watery). Chacun à son goût.

Marc

P.S. I will post in a few weeks (probably 4 or 5 because we are soooooo busy here in the summer) an article that will summarize my 52 years experience in producing jam. I believe this article will interest quite a lot of people… Stay tuned!

marc

6 Likes

I’m definitely interested with your experience and will be waiting patiently for this write up.

I would also like to know how many plants you have, their age, your zone, and their placement(shade vs sun). I’m thinking about a honeyberry area and have a couple plants right now but would like to see/hear your experience.

HI Scott;

I have a row of 14 plants. I planted all of them at the same time on May 08, 2016. The row is completely oriented south but it was not calculated in advance for the row to be in full sun, just a coincidence

Can. & US hardiness zones are not represented the same way I believe. I’m barely zone 5 in Canada so probably zone 4 in the US. Think northern Vermont or north of lake Memphremagog bordering Canada and USA. Probably not as « cold » as northern Maine but not that far from it in terms of climate because I’m located at 300 m elevation. Very windy and very humid. The groundwater line is about 1 m down the ground so we don’t have to water trees. Yeah!

Here we have a lot of robins and they enjoy very much unripe Honey berries. If we don’t put a net, everything disappears in a matter of days… Good luck with you plant on adding honey berries and do not worry too much because honey berrries require no work at all, no fertilization no watering, nada! At least where I live!

Bye!

Marc