Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

There is no accepted pronunciation in English. I agree with Bob - Potato-potahto. The Chinese do not call it jujube so it doesn’t matter how they pronounce the word jujube. Asking the Chinese how they say the English word jujube would be like asking them how they say the English word watermelon. It’s completely irrelevant.

1 Like

Like you all say, doesn’t matter how you say it since no one I know would know anyway!

Hey…I planted mine today, and after I got them into the ground I got a little worried. I planted them about 15 feet from a very large cedar tree. Since jujubes are often described as apple-like in taste and since I didn’t ask, I got worried that perhaps they have something similar to CAR? Is there any reason I shouldn’t have planted them close to a cedar tree? Thanks.

Just the potential shade the cedar can cast. Hopefully it is to the North of the new trees.

Well, add another person to all the Honey Jar hype. I just placed my order in from EL. Look forward to it’s arrival. It’s been high on my wish list and very happy to have it ordered it. The size shown by cityman is just ridiculous. Wow!! Great find!! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Another one drinks the koolaid :grinning:

6 Likes

Yep! Excited to have Bob V’s number 1 fruit tree!!!

1 Like

speaking of which, many parents aren’t aware their kids literally drink jujube koolaid on a daily basis.

clark county school district(nevada) is the 4th or 5th largest school dist in usa, and below are what they serve everyday! Quite certain the jujube juice is imported, so the first to farm jujus in large amounts in usa could monopolize supplying these juice box companies. At 45$ per bare root tree, probably a loooong way to go…

in aussie there’s a high-rolling agricompany offering to purchase 10000 trees at 40$ per tree, but no one has stepped up to the plate. My guess is that if you have 10 specimens(or 10 thousand), you’d rather keep them!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/chinese-beating-a-path-to-our-farm-door-for-jujubes/news-story/9c7151cbee942d428e54478f92541073

6 Likes

I guess I’m confused about the role/importance of the root stock with jujubes. So much is made of other fruit tree rootstocks. I understand some sucker a lot, others don’t, but are they equivalent as far as the tree or tree growth is concerned?
@thecityman: do you know what the rootstock is?

1 Like

Rootstock may be fairly important but there is no research on it in English. It makes sense that scion wood might perform differently on different stock but we have no way of identifying the best rootstock.

I know it is grafted, but I don’t know what its grafted onto. I’ll double check the tag but don’t think it said anything about the rootstock.

UPDATE: Neither of mine say anything about the rootstock, but they are obviously grafted.

I’ve read jujubees in the us use suckers, ie wild jujubee. And China used to use suckers. But now China has a preferred rootstock. I don’t know what it is

1 Like

Ha! That has been my pronounciation, and reasoning for it too! Roger Meyer also was unclear of the intended pronunciation of the word, so I think we’re good no matter how we choose to say it! :smiley:

1 Like

That’s so surprising! And neat! Thanks for taking the Kool-Aid reference full-circle, Raf!

1 Like

That really shocks me for some reason! I had no idea jujubes were even available enough to be in juices like that- surely its imported from China? And btw…that one juice sounds incredibly healthy. Kale, broccoli, spinach, carrot, etc. I know its less than 2% of those, but still. I’m always disappointed how many so-called “fruit juices” on the shelves are 90% sugar water and 10% juice. Even more sad is how many consumers buy that junk for their kids thinking they are doing a good thing.

2 Likes

yeah, it is a ‘given’ that any rootstock or random seedling is good enough or hardy enough to grow like weeds, and sustain any graft. In australia they use jin si lin, which may just be what we have in usa as jin, since jin has strong spinosa characteristics.

rollingriver seems to be propagating rootstoc from seeds in great numbers. And have also received at least two types of rootstoc from different suppliers(big fruited ones and small fruited ones, both sour). Could not really tell differences in ‘performance’ since both are very good at what both are supposed to do.

some cultivars seem to be more precocious on certain interstems or rootstoc, but arriving at a conclusion will take years to determine.

i guess the most proactive thing to do is plant one’s trees in the most sunny location in one’s property, especially in areas with short growing seasons.[quote=“MDfruits, post:169, topic:9740”]
That’s so surprising! And neat! Thanks for taking the Kool-Aid reference full-circle
[/quote][quote=“thecityman, post:170, topic:9740”]
surely its imported from China?
[/quote]
probably imported from china, so would be a great cash crop here in usa considering the longevity and low-maintenance cultivation of this species. Also a topnotch alternative crop to cater to folks who seek out organic juices/fruits

The area where I live is one of the very last places in the USA where tobacco is still a major, major crop. But everyone sees the writing on the wall and knows its on its way out. So the farmers and the state have been trying all kinds of really unique and interesting tobacco replacements. For example, they just legalized Hemp to be grown here. Another big push is on canola, which lots of people are trying now. Another one is fresh water shrimp (prawns)! Another- and my favorite- is sunflowers. Seeing 50-100 acres of sunflowers is just AMAZING!

Anyway, my point is that around here people have a lot of land and equipment and want to farm but their main crop has declined so much that them and the government are trying lots of new and different things. It really seems like jujubes would be a great alternative crop. Most of these experimental alternatives come with government grants to get people to try them. I doubt there are any jujube grants but it would really be a neat thing to get started here!

2 Likes

that is the best news have heard today! Tobacco has to be a thing of the past, imo!

hopefully the gov’t does that, as the juju seems to have no peers when it comes to nutrition, antioxidant activity, lifespan, and tolerance of harsh/barren conditions. Juju fruits have ~240 mg of Vitamin C/100 g of fruit, VS apples which only have ~40 mg/100g (??!)

low maintenance farming of nutritious fruits whittle the cost of production,since there will hardly be a need to supplement juices with vitamin C if using juju fruits(much like orange juice does not have to be boosted with vitamin C, since citrus has plenty, even after pasteurization) Also has more antioxidant activity than conventional fruits as blackberries, sweet cherries, apples, peaches(being exceeded only by Cornus mas-- another non-conventional fruit species)Jujus also have more potassium, zinc, calcium, etc, and of course , sugars! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jujubemulberry While I am as anti smoking as the next guy, don’t get too excited about the end of tobacco just because its on its way out for farmers here. From what I understand from local farmers, tobacco sales worldwide are still quite strong. They say that the reason they can’t grow it anymore is that so much more is being grown over seas with cheaper labor, etc. And Congress isn’t as protective of the domestic growers because so many people have opinions like me and you- that we shouldn’t subsidize or support tobacco in any way.
That was an interesting post, btw. Everything I see like that makes me like jujubes more.

For everyone considering ordering from EL: I planted the trees over the weekend and they had good roots and looked good and I’m very happy. But one thing kind of bothered me…The shipping on these was pretty high, and I suspect it was largely because I had to pay for that huge pot full of dirt that the Sugar Cane was in. But here is the thing. WHen I unwrapped and started to plant it, it was extremely obvious that it was just a bare root tree that they had stuck in the dirt about the time they shipped it. Dirt was all extremely loose, roots had all been cut and ends showed no sign of recent growth, etc. I dont get it. THe Honey Jar was bare root, why not sell the sugar cane as bare root as well?

Oh well. Its not a problem. it still had pretty good roots and I just planted it as a bare root. just seemed a little wrong to sell it as a potted plant and charge to ship all that dirt when it served no purpose.

2 Likes

From what I understand Tigertooth is grown on it’s own rootstock because it doesn’t spread/sucker to a different variety than grafted varieties. Can these other varieties be grafted onto Tigertooth to prevent forming unwanted thickets of wild rootstock?

Yes. No grafting issue. I have five Tigertooth suckers growing right now from the left over roots when I moved the original Tigertooth to a more sunnier spot.

Tony