Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Indeed, Bob. Couldn’t agree more with you about having the roots always in place first.

Dax

QUICK AND (I hope) EASY QUESTION

I’ve had my 2 jujubes for a few days now. I’ve left them in the unheated garage where its probably about 45 degrees. I put roots under very damp mulchdurring these few days.

Would it be ok if I go ahead and put these 2 trees in the ground tonight (ie 6pm/dusk). The temp is expected to be 24 degrees here, but ground isn’t frozen. What say you all? Thanks!

I think you should be Ok since your trees are in a dormant stage.

Tony

re: Gonna be a lot of scionwood going around soon if you can hold back the urges!!! Be sneaky and lay low for a year or two :spy:

=====

thinking just that, but patience isn’t a strong suit of mine :thumbsdown:

I will probably order some spiny juju seeds, maybe attempt to crack a few market jujus as well, and wait a year or 2 since I can’t bring myself to cough up the cash for 2-3 trees just to buy one, especially one I’m not sure will make it up here.

someone want to trade a few sprouts/rootstock for a handful of gage scions though, I got a bunch from the GRIN just today…Purple, Laxton, Late Transparent…as well as Pearl, Tuleu Dulce, and Prune d’ Ente 707.

*rubs grimy hands together in anticipation

1 Like

This pic was just taken a minute ago.
The closest one is Shanxi Li from ToA. It arrive at4-5" tall.

The middle one is Sugar Cane and the furthest one is Honey Jat. It was so small, I have staked it.

HJ may have grown 6" in a year. SC is about a ft more. Shanxi Li has put out most growth.

Someone posted a pic of a large So from Burntridge. It could be that the
in- demand varieties like HJ and SC sell so well, they don’t have enough large size for customers.

2 Likes

My understanding from the Roger Meyer video shown above was that the rootstock suckers prolifically so one could (if patient) harvest a bunch of rootstock each year and graft more. I used to cut off sprouts from under the graft or from the rootstocks but now I ‘harvest’ them when dormant. Myrobalan 29C and Geisla 5 rooted very easily from cuttings - I guess that’s a ‘given’ since they are rootstocks, :blush:
I also got the impression that there was an issue growing from the seeds, but I may have misunderstood.

2 Likes

thinking just that, but patience isn’t a strong suit of mine :thumbsdown:

FUNNY. :+1:

I’ve never had a single root-sucker from any of my 5 jujubes in the ground.

I gave a potted HJ away last year to a Bengali family and that one did sucker…I just figured it was because it was in a pot for 3 years.

Scott

My Sugar Cane suckered last year. Need to cut it off for the tree to grow.

Scott,

What you can do is dig about a foot from the base of the Jujube tree to find some small roots then sever the roots and back fill with a thin layer of soil. The sever roots will send up several suckers. You can transplant the suckers the following March while in a dormant stage.

Tony

3 Likes

Ya from now until forever. Around here Jujube rootstocks form 100ft wide patchs of inpenatrable briars. Even briar rabbit dare not enter.

2 Likes

Tony, have you done this? What time of year is this root cutting done? Does it affect the growth of the tree? About what size diameter root are you looking for to cut?

Must be a regional thing.

I got ten 2 years suckers in pots and ready to be graft in may from this method. I cut the root in late March when the ground is workable. I addition, I move my Tigertooth Jujube on its own root to a new spot and the remaining severed roots suckers to 3 new Tigertooth Jujube trees.

Tony

quite possible, and also possible that the random rootstock seedling has no tendency to sucker, depending on parentage.

we intend to planthundreds of seeds and hopefully find one that bears quality fruit(better than the wild rootstoc’s fruit), and not too thorny, and also has a tendency to sucker. This way, any sucker it may send up in the future will be much better than the typical spinosa nurseries have been using.

incidentally @tonyOmahaz5 's tigertooth is an example

1 Like

That’s because nobody kept harvesting the new suckers :slight_smile:

I’m planning to transplant 3 So suckers this year and it will be interesting to see how many new replacements replace them.

1 Like

if you’re selling one, am buying!

1 Like

the thing with jujus is that any seedling will be used by nurseries as rootstock, since each is anticipated to be as hardy as any other juju seedling. There aren’t much limitations or cons expected of jujus seedlings regardless of parentage-- unlike myrobalan, citation, emla, etc… where each has strengths, but also has weaknesses.

seems though that hardiness to sub-freezing winters could cause die-back in some seedlings, but not in others, so cold-tolerance might be the only variable, especially with wisp-thin 1 inch tall seedlings.

2 Likes

When I bought my Chico the pot was filled with fruit bearing suckers that I cut off and threw away… hmmm…:flushed:

1 Like

I know this thread isn’t Tigertooth specific but I have one and would like to have a few more. It’s grown on it’s own roots, can it be planted by seed? Dig up suckers? Root cuttings?

I planted it last yr and it grew really well. Beautiful tree! It produced one fruit but something got it before it ripened. I’m hopeful that it made it through winter (hasn’t broken dormancy yet) and possibly produces this yr.

would have done the same if were in your shoes, since cutting above-ground is less damaging than uprooting each and every one of them. That it was ‘busy’ producing suckers as a potted plant is enough proof that it has the genes for sucker-production, so anticipate to have a sucker mine in just a couple of years. Now that it is planted in-ground, your chico should not suffer much from having its suckers removed after a year or two since it would already have established plenty deep roots by then. I still would cut(above-ground) suckers which persist this year, just to ensure the main scion ‘has the roots to itself’

if it is suckering, you could very well use those. You could also grow them by seed, but this depends on pollination of the flower which produced the fruit, We have not done much cracking of tigertooth pits, but the few that we did, the pits were seedless, and we have 50+ sources of pollen over a five year study.

jujus are beautiful indeed! Can’t say it in general though, as the wild rootstock and certain russian/ukrainian trees are not really pretty, bearing non-descript branching with dull foliage instead of the typical sparkly type of contorted, li, etc.

2 Likes