Honey locust

@dean What’s the land like you want this blockage from Deer?

Is it open ?

There are Pioneer species that spread , but do not do well in forest
The first ones Like sumac in Open Area takes it up
After the bigger trees take over it moves toward otter edges (for example)

@BrambleberryMeadow (on the hedge Grove post)
Could assist as well

I think if you start seeds now it is OKAY
I have some Osage Orange seeds if you’d want some

Each of these have hard wood
As a matter of fact I saw On Archelogy they keep finding Honey locust By Historical Native American camps, but cannot figure out why.

Hi F_E.

Most of the land is open. Trees lining 2 sides. We’re trying to plant a mix of trees and shrubs wherr there is nothing, and shrubs where trees already exist.

1 Like

@Dean think you could have a bunch of native hollies for cover (dioecious so could just grow male if do not want seed)

Holly was brought up (on hedge) (I re read some)
(also I made tea of some sort of holly type)

I had a Stunning photo of a American Holly ilex opaca (zone 5b)
I cannot find (It grew more like a tree very tall)
If you would want on that grows very high (ilex opaca does )
Bush form might be better to keep deer out (but this ones wide)

Maybe you could espalier some tree’s
(or just grow a lot of (short ) hollies for a deer blockage )

Miss Helen American Holly will grow to be about 40 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 20 feet.

I will have to give this some thought
Not a shrub but deer do not eat Mountain mint

Maybe someone here knows
the state plants a plant that is supposed to block the deer off the road

They do not like the smell so pass other area’s I heard. (is that true)

(random nursery this explains the different types )
I have some seeds sometime soon
(if I can mail in envelop which I can I do not care for anything)

(edit I am guessing Tansy like wild flower to keep away deer
but bigger at least it looked big – the the man may have been mislead .)

Hi honey locust experts.

I guess a dormant honey locust with monstrous thorns would be also good for a horror movie

I read that honey locust is related to carob. But carob would not survive the winter here in zone 7a.

I read that honey locust produces also a sweet pulp if not fully ripe. Is that true?

Is it worth growing for the sweet pulp?

The pods have a very sweet and fragrant pulp inside, but you may look into Kentucky Coffee tree or black locust as alternatives if the thorns are a concern. Black locust thorns are more like roses. Honey locust thorns are terrifying.

1 Like

We planted 155 thorny locust trees for a wind block that will be a deer deterrent as well. We planted them very close, and trying to walk through them would be near impossible.

The Kansas dept of forestry sells thornless conservation trees. They literally just pull the thorny ones out and sell the thornless trees. We reached out to them and asked to buy the thorny ones.

1 Like

Thanks,

the thorns are ok if the fruit is tasty. We can buy here some thornless varieties in Germany but many of them are male trees I need at least both for fruiting.

I looking for the edible pulp and
looked into Kentucky Coffeetree, but some sources say it is poisonous.
And Black locust has no edible pulp and is considered to be very poisonous.
Black locust is very common here because of the high quality wood.

155 locust trees is a lot. Maybe you can pick one out with extra much pulp :wink:

It seems there was not much effort made to breed them for the sweet pulp.

3 Likes

Wow :star_struck: thank you Dean. That is what I was looking for.

I hope I can buy it somewhere in Europe or at least seeds from the „Big Fatty“

1 Like

I looked into the Kentucky Coffeetree again. It seems they have much more pulp in the pods than Honey Locust.
I fond some confusing data about the poisonous.
Some sources claim the pulp is edible but a mild laxative. Some others say it is poisonous.

Does anyone know more?

I’ve not eaten the pulp out of KCT pods. I’m of the understanding that it can be used as a ‘soap substitute’ for handwashing, etc. Really works up a nice froth.
Seems like Mike Dirr admitted (tongue-in-cheek?) that perhaps some of his personality quirks were a result of having eaten that goo as a kid. The KCT seeds, however, do contain toxic alkaloids - unlike those of honeylocust, which could, conceivably be ground into a useful flour - but it has been suggested that roasting inactivates the alkaloids in KCT seeds… but early settlers who bought into land speculators’ claims that KCTseeds made an acceptable replacement for coffee… abandoned roasted KCT seeds for ‘real’ coffee as soon as it became available on the frontier.

Alex at Dispersion Farms offers grafts, seedlings, and seed of some select honeylocust varieties: Dispersion Farms - 06/08/22 Offering.pdf - Google Drive

5 Likes

Thanks for the answer.
That made me think it over again.

I hope some day there will be a honey locust with much sweet pulp.

Ill be planting a few rows of - thorn + seedpod honeylocust this spring…

@Kaki-pistacia
My understanding is that some of the honeylocust selections made for meatier pods are significantly larger, thicker, and have more ‘honey’ than run of the mill HL pods here.

3 Likes

Honey locust seeds were used as dry beans to be boiled for food, I think I remember a " how-to" article in a 1971 issue of Mother Earth News.
Freshly harvested pods were commonly used to make beer from the sweet pulp. I believe I read that in one of the Foxfire books of Appalachian Mountains customs.

3 Likes

I would definitely consider Kentucky coffee tree pulp to be at least mildly poisonous. It’s known to have saponins, which are poisonous. Since it’s not used as a food, even with processing, there could be other toxic compounds in the pulp that haven’t been tested for. I tried some pulp once before I knew better. It tasted sweet and delicious… for a moment. It then tasted like regret. Intensely bitter and unpleasant.