Honeyberries

First year, with a pretty decent harvest

14 Likes

I’ve picked around 4 pounds so far but that was only 2 of the netted bushes and a bit off the unprotected ones. I’m hoping to do the other 5 under the net tomorrow and Sunday.
2 batches of crumble and one of muffins have used a bit over half.
One type has set HUGE berries, so I may freeze some of them for pancakes later.

2 Likes

Never tried them. What do they taste like?

2 Likes

These ones are like a combination blueberry/raspberry taste. They keep coming out with larger and sweeter varieties.I just bought some of the newest varieties from honeyberry usa , they are U of Saskatoon releases. You can use them anyway you could a blueberry. They ripen a few weeks earlier than blueberries too. I usually transfer the netting from the honeyberries to the blueberries around this time.

3 Likes

I love that you can just use the same netting!!

3 Likes

This was my first year netting and waiting. (The info here is really helpful) It’s made a huge difference to the haul.
Took another 2 pounds this morning.

7 Likes

Wow! Yours are huge! They look great.

2 Likes

We made “cages” out of pvc and strapped bird netting to them. We just move them to different plants when needed

2 Likes

I need to start netting! Birds really decimate them as soon as they turn blue

1 Like

I was really surprised at the differance it made. We’ve been having geometric increases in cedar waxwings showing up for the past few years and they would clean us out. This year with the netting, I haven’t seen any. The berries are much bigger after hanging for 2 weeks too.
We’ll end up with something around 16 pounds all in.

2 Likes