Honeysweet pear

Who grows the honeysweet pear? Cummins says this about it

"Honeysweet is a great choice it you only have room for one pear. It is a spreading and precocious tree that will bear in four-six years. It is somewhat resistant to fireblight (strikes typically cork-off in wood that is one or two years old), and it is self-fertile. Cropping will, however, be improved by the presence of a pollenizer. The pollen is fertile.

The fruit is large and turbinate, and it ripens shortly after Bartlett. The skin is an attractive golden russet, and the flesh is buttery and sweet. In terms of flavor, Honeysweet strongly resembles Seckel, which is one of its parents; it is rich, spiced, aromatic, and as sweet as honey.

From a 1955 cross of Seckel and a breeding selection, Honeysweet was chosen from 137 seedlings planted at Purdue University, selected for survival of fireblight inoculum and severe winter damage and, finally, fruit quality. It was introduced in 1979."

2 Likes

I planted one about a month ago, fireblight has yet to kill it. :slight_smile: I had heard it was self-fertile and resistant to fireblight while I was contemplating a single pear tree to plant. I got to try a Seckel pear since then, and realized I probably wasn’t going to just plant a single tree, so if it’s “Seckel, but bigger” I’ll be pretty happy with it.

1 Like

I have a recent Honeysweet tree. It will be several years before fruit though…

1 Like

I grafted it onto 97, no fruit yet, but if it’s ‘improved Seckel’ it should be great

1 Like

I have it, but like the rest no fruit. I’m a fan of the seckel so a bigger version was a must.

1 Like

I’ve got it, probably planted about 2003. Seems disease free, usually sets large amount of fruitlet’s , never got to get bigger than a thumb. Squirrel’s ravage them. What is very noticeable is the WIDE angle of branches to trunk, no narrow crotches. Maybe 15’ tall on unknown semi-dwarf rootstock.

2 Likes

I looked up when I bought it earlier today. Mine has been in the ground for 8 years, Not one decent pear on it yet. No flowers survived the Blossom Blast this year, last year 3 survived the blossom blast, yet something took them before I could. In 2021 the fruit were all destroyed by ‘cedar-quince rust’. Only that one year though, luckily. The year before that the one pear on the tree was not much edible. Maybe next year I will get a crop.

1 Like

I think I have it on aronia with a comical graft union.

2 Likes

I like that it is "from a 1955 cross of Seckel and a US 220 (Vermont Beauty x Roi Charles de Wurtemburg.

The Fruit

Fruit Type

Category: Pear
Subcategory: European, Self-Fertile

Fruit Uses & Storage

Uses: fresh eating, canning
Storage duration: one to three months (approximate, depending on storage conditions)

Fruit Appearance

Skin color: yellow
Flesh color: cream

Fruit Origins

Parentage: Seckel x US 220 (Vermont Beauty x Roi Charles de Wurtemburg
Origin: New Jersey
Introduced in: 1979
Introduced by: L.F. Hough"

It looks like my Honeysweet on aronia has died. It’s the only one that has after several years. The other grafts that are still growing are Conference, Ayers?, Taylor’s Gold and Shipova.

I also had a “dwarf” Honeysweet from one of the big nurseries that had an 80% off sale advertised here. It also died. Now that rootstock is growing and fruiting Bell de Guigno and Thornley.

1 Like

I was looking at this today as well because scion is available.

I found two nurseries stating up to zoned 9 while a few others have it as well over 1000 chill hours.

The bane of warmer area growers trying to figure it out. For the price of scion maay be with grafting anyway.

1 Like

Im going to buy one from G. Madewell. For $4.95 its worth a gamble.

2 Likes

Almost no info on their website. Maybe they are just getting started. That’s the only pear they offer. Obviously for the price it’s a 1 year whip.

Did you ask what it’s grafted on?

we have a thread going on them… we got interested in them due to Ambrosia pear but that isnt going to happen i dont think… A few of us cheapskates are going to give them a try.

I’ll look at the thread.

Thanks