Hot Callus Pipe DIY

Is hormone used to stimulate callus formation on those grape vines?

Not that I observed.

Anyone have issues with the callus tube melting the grafting wax/parafilm?

No. I’ve ran a bunch of grafts thru mine Gary. I put on a thin coat of wax and it’s the same as when I put (a) graft on the pipe. Parafilm, too.

I’ll have to throw one of these together.

Not exactly a pipe but I used 3x20 seedling mats to hot callus persimmon grafts.
Many of the these grafts were scion to root since the shoots were really thin.
Hoping for the best.

2 Likes

I ended up building a 10‘ hot callus pipe today, I’m interested to see how this works out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Dax. I’ll also attach some pics a guy on a Facebook chestnut site posted regarding his method to grow seedling. In regards to these grafts, I’ll try and get everyone an update around May 1.

*only change I would make to my grafts would be to leave some additional buds since I am now using this method. Hopefully the bud doesn’t sprout in the tube while I‘m out of town. I’ll put my other grafts in the tube next week, to compare.

6 Likes

These are 1 1/4“ x 12“ pvc pipes. The grower said he keeps them in a grow box as show in photo. He gets real nice taproots as you can see and has a large majority of his chestnut seedlings at 3 ft in 3 months. Looks like he uses LED grow lights and fish emulsion every so often to fertilize. The pvc tube allow for taproot growth and easy transplanting. This will be my next project as my stratified chestnuts hopegully Start sending out radicles.

10 Likes

Heck yeah Gary. These go hand in hand. Growing seedlings like that and in that width of a container to use to put on the pipe. The guy’s a genius and the results are incredible. Thanks for sharing your pipe photos too. It’s killer.

2 Likes

Yea, I was very impressed with the growth, both vegetative and taproot on the chestnuts he grows in the tubes. To add, he said he uses a pond liner inside the wood box, with it funneling to a bucket to drain excess water.

Hopefully the nuts in the fridge at my shop stratified properly. I’m not seeing radicles yet, though it was a long cold winter. Looking to try the pvc tubes with chestnuts, hazelnuts and black walnuts.

Also waiting on my pear rootstocks to arrive. I’m looking forward to grafting them and getting them in the callus pipe.

4 Likes

I’ve got a new but used refrigerator I’m taking advantage of to the fullest. I dug American hazelnut suckers from my neighbor’s and wrapped the roots in moist paper towels and stuff them in my fridge with all my scionwood. Dug up at least 30 pencil sized pecans that are in there and this weekend my 3/8th’s plus pear OHxF 87’s that had scion kill I put them in there too. Once the pipe is vacated again, I’ll begin putting those on. This is great. That’s all I gotta say.

3 Likes

ALSO excellent for quick-healing of Asian pear scion which was starting to push buds. Thanks Dax!

4 Likes

Update. After my trip, there is great callusing on all my grafts. A few popped buds, but many are still dormant. I’m definitely sold on both the Zenport grafting tool and the hot callus pipe.

15 Likes

Thats some very fast growth there!
Of the persimmons I did only one is showing growth so far.

1 Like

Amazing. Peel any growth or snip off from the rootstock Gary & be sure to acclimate any live growth from the scion(s) under a shop light or shade cloth outdoors till it becomes green and then it’ll be good for sun. I acclimated a graft for 7-days under a shop light LED and it was pretty green at that point. I took it directly to full sun and it’s been fine.

One thing I noticed is a batch of persimmons I did (@ramv & others) with real skinny caliper and light on roots is really taking a long time to push bud growth on the scion while another batch of persimmons from another nursery with more than twice the caliper and roots all came off the pipe and are pushing growth. So extra reserves really helps.

Dax

1 Like

which tool are you using?

This tool which is sold everywhere from eBay to Amazon to Aliexpress to Alibaba with this modification using a round rasp. The modification is for cutting thicker scions that would otherwise be crushed without the extra rounded out notch.

There’s a long thread about this tool should you care to read, Derek… however, I’ve summarized it for you in one photograph. There’s a rosy pink model and then there’s this light tan. The rosy red is a bit better built but both work perfectly fine.

Here’s where to buy extra blades which you should have on hand:

Replacement Blades Aliexpress Seller

Cheers,

Dax

Black walnut

The modification to my tool and then I painted it.

Pictures from other members:

8 Likes

thanks

2 Likes

sure

I also searched amazon.de and didn’t find it. But I found this one, which might be even better suited than the originally proposed device:

It says “with thermostat, 5-25° C above ambient temperature”.

I bought it, but I don’t know when I’ll get around to use it.

1 Like

Has anyone tried using this procedure to graft citrus in the winter?