Hot peppers only. Which varieties do you grow?

Tony,
I have something very similar.

1 Like

I forget their names. Some kind of Thai peppers.

1 Like

They got some good heat in them.

Yup. Thai chilis but I don’t remember the English names.

8 Likes

On the 7-pot front, I have some pods that are now about quarter sized or so. I think they are the White variety. I also have the Bubblegum variety, which has some much smaller pods as well. I’m growing them as I like hot peppers, but these are a different animal.

Here are a couple vids of an English fellow trying these out on Youtube. It’s funny how matter of fact he describes the flavors and how he (mostly) maintains his demeanor while his insides are being shredded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnp83WsW87M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwZyV42kpOA

2 Likes

My Chocolate Habanero are ripening. We gave away some to our Indian neighbor, who likes spicy food, with a warning.

He said he has learned his lesson when he ordered a dish in a Thai restaurant in CA. The waiter asked my neighbor how hot he wanted it to be from a scale 1-20. My neighbor was confident in responding “20”.

He said he could not finish the dish and could not eat anything else but sweets for 2-3 days.

8 Likes

My taste buds and pain receptors are very sensitive. I refuse to eat anything much hotter than a cayenne.

I have a question. How do you think a guy handles the morning after dump when he has been eating super hot peppers? I have visions of someone screaming as they launch into space…

2 Likes

Those are nice, what do you plan to do with them? How are they heat wise. Our Habs are just generic yellow ones when ripe, but this year are pretty potent, compared with last year’s crop.

My wife had a similar experience at a Thai restaurant we visited when we lived in the Dallas area. She has a very low tolerance for hot peppers, she has issues with what I call mildly hot ones. Anyways, we ordered our dishes, something generic, not too exotic. Well, she got hers with some little peppers on the side. She asked me what they were and I said I didn’t know. So, she proceeds to munch on one, and almost immediately she starts having a mini-fit saying the pepper was scorching hot, and starts downing ice water to put out the heat. Well, that didn’t help much, so she then soaks her tongue in that glass of water for the next ten minutes or so. I don’t know what kind of pepper it was, but I suspect maybe it was a cayenne or similar.

So, needless to say, she’s been very wary since then, especially when I hand her a piece of one. I let her sample a slice of a Beaver Dam, which is a thickish red banana type pepper. To me, it is mildly warm, but to her, pretty hot. Anyways, nothing wrong with all that, some people just have different tolerances.

Well, I haven’t eaten any of those super-hots yet, but have got ahold of some pretty potent ones. Without getting too scatological, I didn’t shoot flames out or suffer too much discomfort, maybe a bit warm if anything.

I think most of the heat (capsaicin) gets neutralized mostly higher up the pipeline. But, I’d say the most discomfort (after mouth and throat) is in the form of stomach pain, and/or, in some people, puking it back up, which seems like double torture.

So, why do they eat these scorchers? Probably, a bit of braggadocio, and perhaps to get some kind of endorphin rush from the extreme pain these things put them through.

This year I’m growing Highlander peppers. These have the heat of a Poblano – meaning mild, a little more heat than Anaheim but not like Jalapeno. We’ve been grilling them and using in Chile Relleno casserole. Our guests who request very mild chilies enjoy them.

Over 80% of the world’s chilies are grown for distillation into boat paint, cable sheathing, etc. as a pest repellent. I have friends and former customers who grew up in Asia near those chili fields. They grew up with heat in their food and it seems perfectly normal to them.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get it that some folks just develop a tolerance to them. Me growing up and spending most of my life in a place where hot peppers are used in the cuisine has prob given me a better tolerance than my wife.

I just wonder why these geniuses swallow a Carolina Reaper or Bhut Jolokia but for the reasons I suggested.

Derived from a peruvian chili for the capsaicin industry. I know a lady in Mira Mesa who uses them regularly her bat soup.

2 Likes

Bat soup? You mean, the flying mammal type of bat?? Or the Louisville Slugger type of bat?

I don’t think I want to know the answer…

Yes, popular from Bangladesh through the Philippines.

Since the area you mentioned cover Southeast Asia, I have to say “popular” is not the word I use for eating bats in Thailand.

It is very localized. Those who eat them believe it could work as aphrodisiac and help keep them warm during a cool season. Both have been disproved. More importantly, bats carry so many viruses. Preparing them before cooking ( handling blood, inner organs, etc) and making half-cooked bat dishes (seem to be the way they cook bats in some areas) put those people’s health at risk. Thai doctors, with support of WHO, have worked to educate those people about this health concerns.

1 Like

I planted these hot peppers for fun and out of curiosity. I would like to see what they look like and how hot they can be.

I gave these peppers to my neighbor.

If you want the Choc Habanero, I can let some to be fully ripe and send them to you. Hopefully you could get viable seeds from them. Let me know.

8 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind of you. I might take you up on that offer. I tried to grow some Chocolate Habs from seed last year and wasn’t successful.

Those all so nice looking, what are they?

I agree. But bat soup rarely contains bats in my experience, anymore than stone soup contains rocks in the U S.

very noss, mamuang. how do choc habs taste?

Several cultivars over the years…Trinidad Scorpion 2018. I have three large plants outdoors now fully loaded and still putting on new ones. Before Trinidad my hottest was Chocolate Ghost. Quite potent!! Also I have one plant that came up on its own…seems to be about the heat level of Habanero but more size/shape of a Ghost type pepper so when they are fully ripened will sample and see if they are worth saving seeds going forward! Everyone best of luck growing the hotties. Randy/GA

1 Like