Hot peppers only. Which varieties do you grow?

Clockwise, Thai orange pepper, unknown, Shishito (not hot), common Thai chili, chocolate Habanero.

@erect-and-thornless, I tried regular Habanero a few years back. It was hot but I did not like its “greenish” aftertaste even more.

Thos Choc one seems hotter to me.

3 Likes

Well, you have not gone to the right place to eat bats :):grin:

From what I have read, those who eat bats In Southeast Asia), eat ral bat meat. They cut them up, batter and deep fry or cut up into pieces and put in curry like general population cook curry with chicken.

1 Like

Bat soup is on the menu here in Thai and Philippino restaurants. No bats in the soup, but add chicken or pork for $1 or shrimp for $2.

1 Like

It’s like crab rangoons that have no crab whatsoever. Got it :):joy:

One of the most flavorful HOT peppers I’ve grown is Bulgarian Carrot.

My younger daughter is vacationing in Cancun. She says the popular way to eat habaneros at the hostel is to dip one in your drink to get it wet, then dip it in a bowl of salt, then eat it in 2-3 bites. Wow!

I grew some BG last year, I would say it was the hottest pepper I’ve ever grown, even more than the Habanero’s from my garden. Can’t say I could comment on the flavor, though. Dehydrated most of them, and use the flakes in chili sometimes. Smokin’ hot.

Just came from the garden, picked a few Jalapenos and a big red Beaver Dam pepper, very nice fat banana type variety, with a bit of heat. I sliced up one of the Hab’s that I picked earlier this week and a J, and sprinkled a bit of salt on them. I ate the J, no problem, the Hab, well, not so much. Wow, what a nose clearer! Just now getting the feeling back in my tongue.

2 Likes

Here’s a plot of Scovilles (chemical measure of chili heat) vs. a human taste scale of chili heat. The human scale stops at 400k scovilles because we physically cannot discern difference in heat above that level, although the skin in your mouth will certainly blister more at (undiluted) 1000k vs. 400k.

On the human scale:
Bell Pepper = 0
Anaheim = 2.5
Jalapeno = 5
Habanero = 9

Pic of aforementioned Beaver Dam pepper

5 Likes

This one is very prolific. We kept the plant in door all winter in a less tha ideal condition, it has survived. As soon as we took it outside, it started to grotw vigorously.

The label said Orange Teapot but it has never turned orange. It stays lemon yellow in color. I looked around and found that it looks closely like a variety called Beni Highlands. What do you think it is?

Hot but medium hot.

a

4 Likes

These re-seed every year!

3 Likes

Growing a Carolina Reaper, first year, in my garden. It does not like dry heat very much, has only produced one(still ripening). The plant looks healthy though. I’m hoping it will set a few more fruit once the weather cools down next week.
The Jalapenos have it beat in production, hands-down.

1 Like

That’s strange, it grows great in the dry high heat of southern California inland valleys.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, the plant looks great, and it is flowering like crazy. But the fruit isn’t setting.

Maybe Southern California has cooler nights? We’ve been in the low 70’s at night. I probably don’t water like I should either.

Picked half of the Choc Habanero in hope that the tree will flowers again. Even a friend who eats a Thai hot pepper without brinking her eye lashes said this pepper is too hot for her.

Don’t know what to do with them!!!

4 Likes

How about making Sate peppers in oil?

Probably need a face mask while cooking.

Choc Habanero (brown), Beni Highlands ( yellow) and Nasu? (Red).

8 Likes

In mid-summer, the overnight temperatures are in low 70’s to low 80’s depending on location.

You could dehydrate them and use it as a spice. That’s what I did with my hot peppers last year. I’ll have to make more this year as my wife used most of them for our zesty pickles.

1 Like