Hot peppers only. Which varieties do you grow?

In a dehydrator or can I just sundry them?

I ran all mine thru a dehydrator. Mine has like 6 trays, so I had many different varieties. I think I did it overnight, made for some interesting aromas in the house. They sure shrunk up. After that I ground them up in an old coffee grinder and put them in shaker bottles.

I don’t know about sundrying them, never done that before. Seems like it’d take a while, but I guess you could try it.

Thank you. Don’t have a dehydrator (yet). Hubby asked what I wanted to use it for. I have no answer :grin:

1 Like

Yes! I also use dried up peppers to put on seedlings when growing season starts. I put them on top of soil so the squirrels/critters won’t dig up my bulbs and seeds. This seems to work with the diggers!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I did put cayenne pepper powder all around my trees, did not even slow down squirrels or chipmunks !!!

Maybe, Habanero will be more effective.

Richard,do you know anything about a pepper called Jahee, it originated in Peru and it is very popular there. Maybe your friend knows something about it Sure like to get some seeds. Been looking now for two years. I was promise some seeds but does 't grow peppers anymore because of big stomach problems.

Perhaps jahee is a phonetic spelling of Ahi ?

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/AJI-RED/productinfo/9393/

1 Like

Just run it in the basement or garage, that’d keep the fumes out of the house. I have neither, so I had to run it in the laundry room, not too bad. Of course, you can also use it for fruit.

Here’s what mine looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-37A-American-Dehydrator-400-watt/dp/B00CS5ZI6G

I meant to ask you what your opinion of your Chocolate Habs are. Hottest pepper you’ve grown?

1 Like

Thanks Richard, very helpful, going to order today, Bob.

Choc Habanero is Not the hottest. We are growing Sepia Serpent, which is hotter than Habanero. It is blooming now (took a long time) and we hope it will set fruit.

Never heard of SS, hope you get something off the plant, but it seems like if it’s just flowering now, it may be too late? Or is it potted?

My Bubblegum 7-pot has about 6 pods on it and the White 7-pot has about 10 on it. They are about quarter sized now, so we might get lucky with some ripe ones.

All my peppers are in pots.

1 Like

@mamuang, that is indeed a chocolate hab in your original pic. they are extremely hot and I love the color.

1 Like

Since there were about a dozen decent sized pods on my White 7-pot, I thought I’d try one, even though they’re still green.

I brought it in and washed it, put on a glove and cut it up into small slivers. Sifted a bit of salt on it, and tried them out. First impression was that it tasted like an unripe Habanero, with that “oily” flavor I’m not a fan of. Yes, it was hot, but just a bit more than a Hab I tried last week. I actually ate the whole pod, and it wasn’t that bad. I offered my wife a slice and she said no thanks. I know the pods will develop more heat as they ripen, so we’ll see how they progress.

I took a closer look at the other 7-pot plant and you can see them getting that wrinkly skin look to them, but still green. I’m not trying any of those until they ripen as there’s only half a dozen of them so far. Its going to be close to 90 all week, so that ought to speed along the ripening.

Thank you. You’ve made this possible. I agree that the color of ripe peppers are pretty and aptly named chocolate.

1 Like

I usually don’t wait for them to redden up before enjoying these Beaver Dam peppers

3 Likes

Tony, got this recipe just for you, since you belong to the Brave Guys group.

Since i am part of a hot group, we only deal with super hot stuff.

4 Likes

I grown lots of hot peppers this year and may try out your recipe. We went to the local Thai Restaurant two weeks ago and I ordered the Thai papaya salad and the waitress asked me for the heat. I told her ten. After a few bite and my ears were flushed and popping heat. The Thai sweet tea rescued me. Next time maybe 8 of heat from this restaurant.

Tony

3 Likes

Six is hot enough for me – spicy fun, not spicy torture!

1 Like

Tony,
Next time just tell the wait staff you want take the same heat as an average Thai people. Emphasis on average!! People from the northeast Thailand where the papaya salad originated from eat way too spicy dishes than an average Thai.

When my husband and I eat at a Thai restaurant, my husband has to tell a wait staff that he eats like an average Thai (about 4 stars). Hotter than that, it become a torture than anything else.

1 Like