Hot peppers only. Which varieties do you grow?

had a bush full of orange jalapenos. checked them yesterday. everyone pulled off by crows. pecked open and half ripened. you would have thought after the 1st one they would have left them alone.

2 Likes

I just ordered some cow horn red pepper seeds that look like the long red ones on the right.

1 Like

@Marco
Thanks for playing along. Some of them we lost tags. However, here are what we think we know:

Top : Naga Viper Brain -Purple (the one in the pic seemed over ripe and turned brown), the red one - unknown, Sherwood Caboruga Yellow, Cayenne Long Red Thick.

Small round orange ones are indeed, Aji Charapita.

Bottom: Thai Long, Thai Orange, Sugar Rush Peach, Prik Chee Fah, Peach Bhut Jolokia.

We bought from a guy and those are the names on the bags.

@thepodpiper has grown tons of peppers. He probably can identify these, too.

1 Like

We’ve been enjoying the heck out of ‘Buena Mulatta’ peppers this year. Theyre so prolific, outbearing all of others we’re growing by a big margin. Theyre really flavorfull too. Plenty hot, but not unnecessarily so. We’ve eaten literally hundred of them this summer. No meal short of a bowl of cereal is complete without a couple of them diced up, either fresh or pickled. Great roasted also.
They’re beautiful fruits. They start out purple, eventually turning orange, then brown, then red. Often they have sections of fruit that is a combination of 2 or 3 colors.
They have a very interesting back story. They’re related to fish peppers, and were trudged up and rediscovered in an old dresser drawer or some such.
We’ll be growing them yearly from here on out I expect

4 Likes

@Marco
Here are the real color of the Naga.

Deep Purple (not the rock band :smile:

The plant and leaves are dark color, too.

5 Likes

They look nice. The scoville scale puts them in a range that I can eat them easily.

Thanks for posting.

Naga Viper is the hottest one we grow this year. 1,382,118 Scoville heat unit.

3 Likes

All my hot peppers are starting to ripen.

Peperoncino Pugliese Antico:

Aji Charapita (these are just starting to turn yellow. Look closely… they’re loaded!):

KS White Thai:

Acratà:

AppleCrisp:

Brazilian Starfish:

For some reason, my Sugar Rush Peach ripened in July. They’re still hanging on the plant. They caught me by surprise and I didn’t have a solid plan for them. So I just left them there. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Has anybody heard of hatch chili? Are they any good? Worth splurging for a seed packet?

2 Likes

Hatch chili usually refers to NuMex chilis grown in Hatch, New Mexico. They seem to be especially valued if you can get them grown there, and if roasted. Would you be growing them in a similar climate?

4 Likes

5 year old Scotch Bonnet “Jean” (after my MIL, who I got a pepper from and saved the seeds)

A locally bought Scotch Bonnet; seems to be producing nicely! Heat is nice, but the aroma is not quite right.

4 year old Aji Amarillo

Espelette; drying

3 Likes

Very nice to see people growing all kinds of hot peppers. I don’t eat the very hot ones but this year, we will try to dry and grind them for later use.

A friend of a friend loves Aji. She thinks it is the best tasting pepper she has ever eaten. For sure, she has an expensive taste as this chili cost $15 an oz!!!

4 Likes

Thanks @shrinkrap, I’ll be growing them in California, hopefully they will be ok here. I took a risk and ordered a bunch of pepper seeds today.

1 Like

Peruvian food is one of my favorites when I was in the Bay Area. One of co-workers was married to a Peruvian so he took me to the best restaurants there. I can’t find similar restaurant here.

2 Likes

I bought some Allepo pepper seeds a few years ago because I read in a book on spices that these peppers are very flavorful. Maybe they are; but I can’t tell, because they are so picante that I can only use them in tiny quantities. There is no way that the flavor is noticeable for such amounts. Anyway, I dried them and now use them to spice up bland dishes, which they do very well. Has anyone else tried these?

1 Like

There are numerous varieties of Hatch chilis. I grow the BigJim which I dry and use for chili making. It is a bit spicy or warm. Some other varieties from the Hatch valley are hotter and some milder. I recommend giving several a try.

3 Likes

Vitog, i have been growing these Aleppos for several years and also dry them and pickle them whole also. I find them hot but not overly so. I really enjoy their flavor. When dried and then rehydrated and made into a paste they are a good addition to add to chili or other sauces.

1 Like

Red Habanero, Orange Thai, Red Thai, Santaka, Indian Cayenne.

2 Likes

I only bought one variety that was on sale, it turns out this is the hottest hatch chili, yikes, I also bought Tabasco pepper. Next year I will be experimenting with them.

2 Likes

Thanks, Quint. I got the seeds through Amazon; maybe they were some other variety, although they look like the images online. My peppers were much hotter than Jalapenos. Is that the case with yours?

1 Like

Vitog,
Yes, some jalapeños are quite hit and others milder. The Aleppos are right up there but are about as hot as i want. Removing the seeds and membranes helps. I pickle them whole and enjoy eating them that way. I also dry then coarse grind the Aleppos which makes them easy to add to any dish for a little kick with flavor.

1 Like