How are your stored apples doing this winter?

I have almost no stored apples this winter due to a combo of the deer cleaning me out and lots of apples needed for cooking. So I thought I could experience it vicariously by hearing how others’ apples are doing this winter.

The only apple I still have in storage is Yates. I had to pick them too early due to a cold snap and they are only now starting to get good. Well, they are still not ready straight from the fridge, but if left on the counter for a week or so they are good. They have sweetened up very nicely, I didn’t measure but it tasted like the 18 or so brix range. They don’t have nearly as much flavor as usual though, due to being picked early.

5 Likes

I have maybe 4 dozen Gold Rush left from the scions you gave me still in the baggies they grew in. They are keeping perfectly, and the flavor is getting more and more intense. I hate to call them “fruity,” but that’s what everyone keeps calling them… I slice them up and share them with guests together with store-bought apples. Having them side by side really demonstrates how different a good home grown apple can be.

Now I’m faced with the same dilemma I have with my home brews- do I eat them, or do I wait and hope they keep getting better??

3 Likes

My Liberties have been in tightly-sealed bread bags at 32ish F and are still holding up well. The riper-picked ones veer a little to the mealy side, but all are very very good and flavorful. The less-ripe ones are better, even excellent. But I don’t think there will be any improvement from here on out, and I’ll be surprised if we’re still enjoying them as much in March.

2 Likes

My Liberties are also really good right now. Every time I begin to think they are just so-so, I will eat one with a great texture and sweet-tart flavor that makes me crave another. The tree had been churning out tons of apples every year, and they are proving to be good keepers. Liberty may be underappreciated due to its “disease resistant” label and it gets stereotyped as an average apple because of that.

3 Likes

This is the first year I stored apples in the fridge in plastic bags. Macoun has been in there almost 4 months. They’re not as crunchy as when I put them in there, but there are still firm enough to eat raw (I usually bake with them). They don’t seem to have lost any weight. They actually seem juicer, maybe from the breakdown process. What surprised me the most was intensity of flavor. I’ve never had Macouns with this strong of flavor. Bagging them to prevent dehydration definitely makes a big difference in overall quality.

3 Likes

I think Liberties are given to good years and bad years. I’ve had some pretty ordinary apples from my tree and some of the best ever, too.

2 Likes

I still have enough apples in plastic in the fridge to get me through the end of the month, maybe a little beyond. I’m planning on starting a thread on my apples similar to Scott’s annual apple report, but am waiting for a stormy day or two when I’ll be shut inside rather than tempted outside by the ridiculously warm and dry winter in my part of the west right now. I’ll include Brix numbers of many of my apples (new toy acquired in early November), which I hope inspires some conversation.

Back to the topic herein, this is what I still have hanging around. I am constitutionally unable to write about fruit (or much anything else) in brief, punchy pros, so please soldier through what follows. From the first three listed I have one apple remaining from small crops of first-time fruiters :

GoldRush - just as sweet, complex, intense, crisp and juicy as advertised. I had five or six off of a runty tree that I’m going to have to replace due to sunscald and borers. I’ll keep it limping along until then and maybe try inarch grafting to save the tree. 24 Brix on the only apple I measured thus far.

Suntan - holy smokes! This was my best apple this year. I had around 15 on my young tree. Taking a bite was like getting walloped in the mouth with the most intensely sweet/tart apple you could imagine. They were great right from their 10/15 harvest, improved through 12/15 but showed some signs of degrading in the last couple I’ve eaten since 12/29, where both apples had some browning and softening of the flesh with accompanying loss of complexity around the stem end. The bottom 2/3ds of each apple remained terrific with crisp, sugary, brightly flavored flesh. Brix measured 26-27 in all cases thus far.

Esopus Spitzenburg - I had a huge (for me) crop from two trees on two different stocks, M.111and G.30. The M.111 crop was larger because the tree is larger, and M.111 apples were also quite a bit larger. The G.30 apples were slightly more intense and stored a little better, which makes sense to me, given that larger apples generally are less intensely flavored due to higher water content, which maybe affects longevity in storage, but that final bit is just a guess. Regardless, apples from both trees tasted great, were juicy, crisp and had a nice sugar/acid balance for a couple of months (10/15 harvest date). The flavor has sweetened in the past month with some loss of complexity and softening of the flesh. It’s still quite nice if you don’t mind the slight mealiness. Brix measured between 19-21 on all specimens (I measured a lot of these apples).

Golden Russet (four remaining from a nice crop) - Most of these apples had some level of sunburn (it was pretty bad through much of my orchard last summer, which was quite hot), and I left them on the counter for a couple of weeks after harvest, which caused some dehydration. Even so, they remain crisp and fairly juicy at this time and their flavor continues to impress. One specimen measured 29 Brix on 12/9 with several others measuring between 26-28 as recent as 1/4. I really like this apple, though I’m certain it would be better without the sunburn, as a handful of cleaner apples from the interior of the tree were more complex and had better texture overall.

Newtown Pippin (seven remaining from a crop similar to GR above) - Another 10/15 harvested apple–had a bear in the orchard the night before and didn’t want to risk losing my apples, so I harvested all the late ripeneners. Aside from one perfect specimen on 1/4, which was crisp, aromatic and tasted something like an apple Jolly Rancher, though at “only” 16 Brix, all have been somewhat mealy since sometime in early-mid December when I began eating them out of storage, though the flavor remains pretty good. Brix between 18 (today) and 24 (Dec. 15) with most around 20. The lesson here is likely harvest earlier, though NP is supposed to be a November apple.

Suncrisp (six remaining out of ~ 15 from first crop) - A large, beautiful yellow-green apple with just a hint of blush on it’s sunward side. This and Esopus Spitz were my most attractive apples. I’m a pretty big fan of PRI apples out here in hot, dry Nevada. Pixie Crunch delivers a good crop of very nice apples every year, GoldRush was excellent this year, though the tree is in poor shape. Sir Prize gave me two mealy, overripe apples this year and I have questions about it’s productivity here up to now, but last year gave me a handful of excellent specimens in its first cropping (Golden Delicious flavor, which I really like, on steroids–more acid and more sugar). William’s Pride and Pristine have yet to produce for me. After one fruiting, I’m sold on this apple. If it conforms to PRI’s literature, Suncrisp will crop well annually and deliver the same large, clean fruits. It continues to hold up well, with the sharp flavor off the tree (10/15 again) mellowing to complex and fruity with plenty of sugar. Its texture remains excellent. I had one specimen on 1/4 which was less sweet and much less complex than any I’d eaten prior, but the remaining apples all appear to be in excellent shape. Brix has not been consistent with one apple measuring between 16-21 on different parts of the fruit and my first measured apple, hit by coddling moth, at 24. Most of the others I’ve measured were 20-21, though they tasted sweeter.

I’ll have a future report with comments on these plus an additional 20-30 apples I fruited this year.

11 Likes

My main crop is Liberty and i still have about 50 of them in primo condition. I don’t have refrigerator so i store them in coolers in the garage with 4 20 oz soda bottles that are frozen. I pack them 6 at a time in to bread bags and twist tie the top. i just ate two tonight and they were so sweet, a bit of tartnes,crisp, juicy and oh so pleasing. A lot of people seem to knock Liberty but i think it is a great apple. it lacks aromatics, but I really think it is one of the finest of vinous class.
I also have some Kidds Orange red left, and while still delicious they are firm rather than crisp at this point. I have some other stuff but they are i rougher shape. I should point out the garage was below freezing for 3 weeks. Fortunately the coolers and water bottles moderate things and the sugar in the Liberty keeps it from Freezing.

3 Likes

I socked away 8 or so bushels at the end of the fall, most were intended for a final cider pressing that never happened… I,have them in my cellar, in open boxes-no ideal conditions as the temp is too high at 40F and humidity too low. I dry some as time permits, and have made a lot of apple sauce. Varieties are Blue Pearmain, Baldwin, Goldrush, Golden Russet, Roxbury Russet, mystery russet, and a few Northern Spy, Spitz,. Goldrush is the winner, the only variety that still meets my son’s high standards for fresh eating. Baldwin comes in second, no shrivelING though the texture is starting to get a little mealy. BPM are shrivleed, but still have a good flavor and some snap. Roxbury, though softened, is still the most acidic, and helps give pies a kick that I like.

4 Likes

These Goldrush apples have been in my unheated garage for about one month. Some are still in good condition and a few were damaged. I peeled the damaged one for freezing. Even the damaged ones still had a great taste.
100_4104 text
100_4105 text with some damaged100_4107 text sliced for freezing100_4108 text in bag for freezing

8 Likes

Only have Galas now, pretty mealy

They also smell up the fridge, even tho they don’t actually taste bad

1 Like

Goldrush are great as are Pink Ladies. I just sampled a very nice red-strain Jonagold (I like this one because apples don’t get quite so huge) and a Suncrisp. It was a relatively low-brix year and JG was at 15 and Suncrisp at 14. The flavor and texture of both may have lost a bit but they both are still very good apples. I have them in a fridge in my cool basement so it takes little extra effort to keep the hydrated as the fridge doesn’t have to run too much.

Fruit that I didn’t have room for in my huge fridge sit in containers on the basement floor. Cool as it is down there it took a lot of heat to maintain 40F recently and that dehydrated the surplus Goldrush I’ve been giving away. They really need to be partially wrapped with plastic in most storage situations.

4 Likes

Alan,

Curious as to why you are trying to hold them at 40? I keep my in an unheated garage and it gets well below freezing. I noted before most apples that are high in sugar do not readily freeze. I have some in old cat litter buckets that eventually do freeze when it is in the teens in the garage, but the ones in the coolers are fine. I just ate a few last night

your friend, fluffy.

1 Like

It’s not set for storing apples- it is set to make doing laundry bearably comfortable. The water pipes run through it also.

1 Like

LOL - that makes sense. Cracks me up - sort of a duh moment for me.

1 Like

I have Liberty and Suncrisp left. I had put a away a few Kidd’s Orange Red, but I probably ate that last of those in early December.

Liberty - even the small ones have quite a bit of sweetness now. I have about a half dozen small ones left.I have not checked on sugar, but I think some are in the 16 Brix range (not amazing, but not too bad for small apples). Some are good and have a perfume like quality to them that rivals the best original strain (Hawkeye) Delicious. Others have this odd flavor to them that I can’t quite figure out if it is refrigerator taint or just a characteristic of the apple. The last two years they have been best in early December. The later picked ones are softening, but the ones I assume I picked earlier are better. They ripened in 80-90 degree weather in Mid-September, though.

Suncrisp - Still an excellent apple. Sweet but still with a bit of tartness. With the hot fall we had, these had much less acid to them when they came off the tree than they should have based on several years experience with locally-grown counterparts. But they still held up well. The major flavor is pineapple to me. No shriveling yet so far. Good texture still. This is my favorite apple for all around flavor. I will see if I can get some into April.

Kidd’s Orange Red - I think I probably ate the last of these in the first week of December. I recall it not being as good at that time as when I picked them. The texture of the Kidd’s that I stored longer was interesting. The flesh almost had a slimy texture to it on the cut surfaces. They really don’t seem like a long-storage apple to me, but I don’t suppose they are touted to be that.

2 Likes

We had Enterprise and Fuji stored. Just used the last of the Enterprise, which were too poor for fresh eating. Probably like a lot of people, when the eating quality falls off, we slice the apples and cook them in a little brown sugar and cinnamon for a desert.

Fujis are still good for fresh eating.

2 Likes

I had Pink lady, Goldrush, Enterptise, and some Winesaps out in my fridge in the garage. Unfortunately I didn’t think the below zero weather would freeze my apples in the fridge, it did. About 75, mostly Goldrushes ruined. Sucks big time.

Ouch! Sorry to hear it.

I assume that when you say “below zero” you’re using the celsius scale. I think it’s probably safe to go just slightly below freezing; I’m fairly confident down to 29 F or nearly -2 C, but I try to have the temperature hover right around the freezing point, and I think anything below that doesn’t leave much leeway for error. And I think you pointed out that the sugar content will influence things too. I guess there’s other variables (cell wall strength, total moisture content?) that will matter as well.

My apples long gone. But, awhile back, I left a Fuji in my toolbox on the truck…and after a night in the teens, it tasted just the same as before it froze. I ate it at around 50 degrees…did not bring it to room temperature.

2 Likes