How are your World's Best mulberries doing?

Probably too early to ask, but how are your world’s best mulberries doing? I sent out hundreds of cuttings with some having amazing success to no success. Some went almost to Canada even. One person today told me he expects 45 to 50 pounds on his. Mine are weighted down with berries to the ground as usual. How are yours doing?

3 Likes

I received mine last year and they were doing well. Unfortunately they were hit by this last freeze after budding out and have to recover.

Fingers crossed

Grafted it yesterday and not sure if it can handle the -20F in Z5. I am just trialing it. Fingers crossed.

Tony

4 Likes

Mine is in my greenhouse loaded to the gills with pre-berries.

2 Likes

Unless they come out from the roots mine are toast. They started blooming in January when our winter was just getting started. Just have dead dry spent buds.

Mine have been active in my greenhouse since January but I kept them above 32 overnight but not by much. They still woke up in January.

Plants adapt. Good luck, Katy.

2 Likes

I’m on the list to buy a plant. Any time frame on when those might be ready?

Never received any…

Ended up with a refund months later

Waiting for an email this year…

Scott

Any idea of when you may have some trees for sale?

TFN

I would love a cutting, even just one. So yeah lot’s here still interested. thanks for making it available.

That’s not good.

mulberrywaitinglist@gmail.com

End of April. mulberrywaitinglist@gmail.com

1 Like

Any idea on how long before I may see something from the roots?

How do these berries compare to Morus nigra? Nigra is said to be the best mulberry hands down, some go so far to say the best fruit ever. Most nigra’s will not grow below zone 8. But one strain in Bulgaria can make it to zone 6b. I have a small seedling. I should have some wood by the fall. Trade for World’s Best scion at that time. PM me if interested. I posted info about it in this thread.

2 Likes

I have no clue.

I never tasted nigra. Maybe some nigra growers could chime in.

I have not either. I’m most experienced with wild rubra around here. Most are not good, but once in a while a tree produces excellent berries.I know of one. I used to forage for them all the time, now trying to grow my own. I planted a couple trees last year. And in containers have multi-grafted trees too. One is going in the ground this year.

What do cocktail Mulberry trees look like? That would be awesome. I hope you made starts from that one good tree. You may have a new cultivar.