How are your World's Best mulberries doing?

I would love a cutting, even just one. So yeah lot’s here still interested. thanks for making it available.

That’s not good.

mulberrywaitinglist@gmail.com

End of April. mulberrywaitinglist@gmail.com

1 Like

Any idea on how long before I may see something from the roots?

How do these berries compare to Morus nigra? Nigra is said to be the best mulberry hands down, some go so far to say the best fruit ever. Most nigra’s will not grow below zone 8. But one strain in Bulgaria can make it to zone 6b. I have a small seedling. I should have some wood by the fall. Trade for World’s Best scion at that time. PM me if interested. I posted info about it in this thread.

2 Likes

I have no clue.

I never tasted nigra. Maybe some nigra growers could chime in.

I have not either. I’m most experienced with wild rubra around here. Most are not good, but once in a while a tree produces excellent berries.I know of one. I used to forage for them all the time, now trying to grow my own. I planted a couple trees last year. And in containers have multi-grafted trees too. One is going in the ground this year.

What do cocktail Mulberry trees look like? That would be awesome. I hope you made starts from that one good tree. You may have a new cultivar.

I had the Nigra for the first time last yr. Some berries were superb others not so much. They aren’t very big and harvest scattered. It’s difficult to find the fruits and tell when they are fully ripe. They’re hidden under the leaves and have very short stems. The best rate near the top for taste. But not better than Bing cherries, Summer Muscat grapes, or Honey series nectarines. I’d put them in the same category as Summer Muscat, difficult to grow and great for a treat but perhaps not worth the effort and mess, they are messy, stain badly.

For steady fair I’d still take nectarines.

I’m hoping worlds best at least has a good taste. It sounds like the yield is very high. Usually really high yield fruits don’t have the brix needed for a really good taste. That’s why we thin many fruits.

3 Likes

Everyone loves them. Only thing I found affects the taste of them is soil. Bad soil makes bland berries. Rich soil very sweet. Early berries sometimes seem less sweet than the follow ups.

i’ll tell you when it’s bigger! . I did it myself, bought root stock and added 3 cultivars to three rootstocks, so nine cultivars on 3 trees. I’m testing if I like various cultivars. I may remove some cultivars if not to my liking. I’ll put something else there, or remove scaffold completely. I don’t know if this is going to work or not, I don’t see why not? Works fine with peaches and plums. Each cultivar or variety ideally has it’s own scaffold or secondary branch. You would grow with an open center, no central leader. These are hardy types so more tree like structures. Yours has a sprawling habit, and is interesting.

I regularly have morus nigras mulberries from my centenary tree in my family farm, from july to september usually. The tree is mega productive and the berries are no doubtfully the best berries i ever had, mega juicy, sweet and spicy like at the same time. Love them

Leaves are huge on this one also

9 Likes

My experience with rubra’s is that each tree is different. Same with nigra’s I bet too. Most nigras sold around the world are sold as species trees, not cultivars.

Man I wish I’d seen this sooner…or rather knew you had decided to sell scions.
I have a neighbor here with Nigra, and the flavor was amazing, but the trees I had grafted of it got the grafts broken off by rampaging cattle. (Not ours)
I have some mulberry rootstock and would love to try your World’s Best.
Any chance you have dormant scion available now @botanical_Bryce: ?

You mean sweet and tart at the same time. I agree with that. A fruit in a class of its own, a gift from the gods…

1 Like

send you email for a plant if u have

So true! I planted a mulberry in what was a blueberry patch which had acidic soil, and the fruit was not as good as fruit from the same tree planted elsewhere in more alkaline soil. Same can be said of mulberries growing in a more shaded condition. If the tree doesn’t sparkle with health, then chances are that the fruit will suffer (I think this probably applies to most fruit).
I’ve been curious about the ‘Issai Dwarf’ mulberry. Mine taste really quite awful (The spring crop especially…fall fruit not as bad). I was wondering how soil conditions in other parts of the country affect the ‘Issai’ fruit quality. Does anybody have an ‘Issai’ that they believe tastes decent? It is a shame, because they are very prolific and produce large fruit. Actually, they grow and look like ‘World’s Best’ but they are definitely no “World’s Best”.

4 Likes

My issai are tiny , and tasteless ,nowhere as big as the ones in your photo, 3yrs old.
If they don’t improve soon ( size/ taste) I will not keep for fruit.
They do root easily ,so am thinking of using them for rootstock ?

2 Likes