How best prune old apple trees to make better scionwood

I guess I can imagine, but any general hints for getting some favo(u)rite wild & feral apples I found last year to grow me some scionwood for next winter?

Some are pretty old, or completely in the shaded forest (but apples were still great!), etc.

Planning to go around tomorrow to my list of 6-8 trees & do a little trimming on a few branches.

Or if bud grafting is a good or better idea (just did furst bench & field grafts this year, not a expert) perhaps same consideration for suitable buds.

Generally you see “Budwood” shipped in July for USDA. If you have some spare root stock or are top working; you can try now.

Me; I’d mark the trees and come back when they go totally dormant. And take scions then.

Sorry for confusion - I’m wanting the old trees to be induced to grow some longer 1st year wood so I can get easy scions in the winter; what they produce now, after many decades or a lifetime of neglect, is pretty short/hard to discern so hoping to go in ~ Feb & get nice ~12" scions.

Seems like a stub cut on an older branch usually results in a flush of watersprouts.

4 Likes

Prune the snot out of it. A really old slow growing tree might require more pruning than you think. I’d chose a large branch to cut back. Preferably one that the new shoots will get some sun.

6 Likes

i just pruned 2 century old apple trees to rejuvenate
them. i removed 1/3rd of the canopy. removed dead , diseased or badly placed branches, opening up the center to light and air. that would get that old tree to flush new growth. if you wanted to you could bring some high N fertilizer and fertilize them . also could bring in some loppers and a hand saw. remove anything around them that might be shading them or competing with the roots for nutrients.

2 Likes