How do they make strawberries bareroot?

Hello all,
I was just wondering how big companies make strawberries into bareroot strawberries? Do they put them in a freezer until they go dormant and then remove them from soil? And how do they store bareroot strawberries?

2 Likes

Was just hoping to follow up, any ideas?

@Rawnutphobic —

Found this with a Goog Search… how do nurseries produce bare root strawberries…

…
When you get your bare root berries, they won’t look like much. To harvest the bare root plants, the nursery has dug them up while still dormant , allowing them to survive even without water & nutrients. … To get the plants ready to go in the ground, carefully separate the plants untangling the roots.
…

Early this spring… like late Feb… (Still dormant) I dug up several smaller strawberry plants (last years runners that established) and transplanted them. I did not worry about moving a lot of soil with them, so they were mostly bare root once I dug them up, and I just transplanted them where I wanted them… they grew just fine this year.

I think the key there is (while still dormant)…

Good Luck with your strawberries !

TNHunter

2 Likes

Thank you!! Simple enough solution and makes sense!

This is just what I’ve gathered from what I’ve read. I think they are dug up while dormant and then the soil is washed off with cold water. Then they are wrapped and shipped.