How do you decide when to pick early ripening apple varieties

Green, ripe and then mush in a short time period. If your like me I have some of these varieties but not enough to throw caution to the wind and just pick them. This morning I notice two Carolina Red June getting a lot of red coloring so I picked this one after seeing the lower side blemish. It was a smaller apple that was slightly more tart than sweet. I’m pretty sure a couple more days would move the taste to sweet/tart. This is my second season with these and I think I’m getting close to deciding when is proper time. What concerns me is the next up Williams Pride and Pristine. Wondering if their pick timing is similar. Last year I did a poor job with WP but I got lucky with one and it was a top notch tasting apple to me. I want more good ones. Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

4 Likes

Bill,
I usually pick WP the first two weeks of August but I am a couple of zones colder. I remember one time I let a WP apple hanged on the tree until mid Sept. Its taste and texture was still very good.

I don’t know how well WP would last on the tree in your locale as it is a lot hotter and (more humid?) than mine,

1 Like

Not sure the picking window is as tight as you might think.

However if you want a guide line I know in the Penn State Fruit production guide they have a table that shows the approximate maturity date based on bloom time. As an example they say that it takes 90- 100 days from full bloom to maturation for Pristine. You might be able to find that chart on line somewhere. Obviously there are factors that can impact the maturity date.

3 Likes

This will be my first year for summer apples (William’s Pride, MonArk, Ginger Gold, and Zestar). I was assuming the usual tug test every 2 days will work.

1 Like

Picked two more today. CRJ ripens fast.

The seeds turn from white to dark brown or black when ripe.

1 Like

The CRJ is my earliest apple that I consider to be a pretty good fresh eating apple (not great) but it can go from tart to mush in 2-4 days. Your best bet is to pick just as it gets a little red on it. Sometimes the seed are dark but most of the time they are not. I have a few small limbs grafted in and in my opinion they are a really nice way to get the season kicked off.

1 Like

I’m a fan as well - though mine won’t be ready for a good while yet.

Varmints stole ‘Striped Sweet’ apples that were ripening. I had some Anoka last week…sour and small, and keeps maybe a week…but the fruits ripen over 3 week period.

I have Carolina Red June and Lowland Raspberry…but they have not fruited for me yet…otherwise they’d be getting ripe too.