How do you know when to water you mature and not so mature fruit trees...Apples, stone fruit, persimmons, etc

How do you know when to water you mature and not so mature fruit trees…Apples, stone fruit, persimmons, etc.

Say in 95+ degree days with no rain for weeks.

Mature trees shouldn’t need water until the grass or similar nearby vegetation starts to turn brown. Or at least shows water stress. That’s how I judge when to water my pecan tree.

For trees planted this year a good watering once a week should suffice. Preferably in a basin around the tree.

4 Likes

With my mature standard or semi dwarf apple trees in ground we don’t even water them.

1 Like

I don’t water.

2 Likes

If fruit load is heavy or if I am trying to grow new grafts, I water if there is no rain in sight, regardless of temperature, concentrate it around the drip line where feeder roots need ii most. If rain is expected within a week I can water less, but typically this time of year peak growing, I water every 3 rd day
Dennis
Kent, Wa

1 Like

There are thousands of wild trees, vines, canes, bushes on my place that produce fruit (hickory, persimmons, muscadines, wild grapes, blackberries, deerberry) and never get watered other than rain.

In the large majority of years a new fruit tree, cane, vine, bush, etc… that I plant in my orchard gets watered once when planted. Thats it.

Once planted… i do my best to give them the same advantage that the wild plants have… a deep layer of compost in a wide circle around it… covered by a deep layer of wood chips.

3 Likes

I replied to a similar topic a couple of years ago:

That post includes a reference to irrometers, which are devices for measuring soil moisture. They come in various depths and porosity for various soil types, and they’re calibrated in kilo Pascals (kPa) of vacuum. Of course, this isn’t directly useful as an indicator of plant stress, but, after irrigating, you can note whether the plants respond and begin to correlate in your mind how much difference a watering session makes in the vacuum. Thus, you learn how often to turn on the water, guided by the irrometer reading. The trick is to stay out in front of stress.

good to know as some of my fig grafts are going nowhere fast.