How do you search pages?

When I want to search a page for something like a variety name I just hit CTRL + “F” and pop up comes up that allows me to search every word on the page I’m looking at to find the word & quickly go to each occurrence by clicking an arrow. This is a MASSIVE time saver. But on this forum when I try this it instead opens the search feature to search the entire website. This sucks to put it mildly & I’m hoping their is a work around to this. Can anybody help?

2 Likes

You didn’t say what operative system you are using and what browser you are using. With Windows 10 and Firefox CRRL+F searches the open page. Clicking the search symbol at the top of the page allows search of the topic or website depending on the option selected.

It works great on Explorer. I use Chrome for everything but I guess I will have to start using Explorer for this site if I want to use that feature like I usually do when researching something in particular. At least now I know I can do it. Thanks.

1 Like

its almost impossible to use explorer these days. That default browser is Edge and its based on the same chrominum core as chrome with out all the call backs to google.

Using Chrome, CTRL + F pulls up the default page search for me on this forum. It makes me think there’s some setting stuck for you on this page or in your browser. Try clearing your cache and refreshing - just press CTRL + F5.

1 Like

Something very strange just happened. I did CTRL + F again today and it worked just like it always has on any other website. I don’t know why. I didn’t do anything. This is the first time it has worked right on this site. I wonder if trying it on Explorer somehow reset something on my computer? Regardless, I’m just happy it’s working right & hope it continues to do so! Thanks everybody for your input.

2 Likes

If it happens again, you can always check the box to limit the search to the current topic you’re viewing, which has a similar function (and this will actually work better for long threads where the browser’s built-in page search function will only include the portion of the thread that is currently loaded into the browser).

See, e.g.:

1 Like

This is amazingly frustrating. The feature works fine on this page but when I go to another page like the “Your favorite persimmon?” page it reverts back to what swincher posted which isn’t nearly as fast because it only shows part of the post which doesn’t always include all the words you are looking for so you have to go to each post. And here I was all super happy. lol

I know mouse clicks are often more annoying than keyboard shortcuts (to me at least) but if you open your browser’s menu, it should have a “Find” or “Search in page” option. For modern versions of Chrome, click the three dots in the upper-right and then click “Find.” However, keep in mind that for long threads, it may not all be loaded until you use the scrolling feature.

2 Likes

That works! Thanks for the help!