How hardy is pakistan or shahtoot mulberry (morus macroura) REALLY?

Hi npolaske,
Shahtoot as it is its Iranian name is entirely a different variety of mulberry, I planted one of them in my back yard in Tempe , it did very well and grow to a very nice tree but it needs a lot more chill hour then what we get in Phoenix area, and it did not produce any fruits, tree got very large and healthy and I gave up on it and had to cut it . Shahtoot has black fruits and when it is rip it is sweet and sour very much like blackberry and its juice stain skin . Size of buries is about one inch long and they are about the diameter of a large olive. I remember my mother use to make excellent jam with it.
Pak mulberry does well in Phoenix climate and produce well in our area.

The only nursery I am aware of selling true Shahtoot is http://paradisenursery.com/product/persian-mulberry-tree/ in California, but as I said in my previous post it will not produce much fruit in Phoenix area.

It’s not surprising to me that there is an obvious nomenclature problem with mulberries. “Shahtoot” appears to be a synonym for “Persian” mulberry, while “Pakistan” is a completely different variety. There are black and white varieties of both. JFE refers to their “White Pakistan” as “Shahtoot,” which is wrong based on your information. The variety I was referring to in this post was the “White Pakistan” from JFE. I found a “White Pakistan” at Tropica Mango in Phoenix and am planning on buying a 15 gallon size sometime this winter.

I actually have a “Persian” from Peaceful Valley. Do you think this is the same as the “Shahtoot” your mother had?

1 Like

still waiting for what @kazazz has to say, but from what i see in @kazazz ’ link and your link, both are pictures of standard persians, or at least the true nigras if they are not persians(noir/chelsea, etc)

That is very correct, shahtoot and Pakistan mulberry are entirely two different variety. Pakistan mulberry fruits are very long compare to Shahtoot and they come in Purple/ black or white but shahtoot is always dark purple close to black.
As you see in the Peaceful Valley catalog the Pakistan looks completely different then Persian. Have you had any fruit from your Persian tree yet ?
when its fruits become ripe, if it is sweet and tart you have a Shahtoot , and if it is sweet you have a black mulberry.

I’ve got Kokuso and can attest to its hardiness.

Right now I’ve got Illinois Everbearing, Kokuso, Sweet Lavender and would be willing to share scion wood. I’ve got plans to add a couple more too (I.E. Is getting a severe pruning and I want to add a few other varieties once I’ve done that to its branches)

I’ve got Black Beauty as well (potted) but won’t offer wood from this one unless I can get it to push more growth this next year…

Scott

Drew I think I have a seedling for you. It’s only about 12 inches tall, but I can also provide scion wood for you…

1 Like

I believe that Peaceful Valley sells Dave Wilson’s trees, including their Persian Fruiting Mulberry Morus nigra ‘Persian’. @npolaske, does your “Persian” from Peaceful Valley seems to be a true Morus Nigra?

That would work for me!

Sorry, but my trees is so young that I can’t make any claims about it yet. Does anyone else have the “Persian” from Dave Wilson?