How is your weather? (Part 1)

I also recently bought a generator and just this last weekend got it wired in with a grid interlock… I’m hoping that doesn’t “jinx” me… Hopefully we don’t get any freezing rain. Sounds like we’re going to be right on the rain/snow transition though.

2 Likes

and @BlueBerry - Both of you sound as frustrated as I am in trying to figure out what kind of weather we are going to get in our area of south central KY/northern middle TN. Its just crazy how often it changes, how big the differences are between different sources, and so on. At one point today, Channel 5 in Nashville had videos from 2 of their weather people that were posted within one hour of each other. One of them said to expect MAYBE 3 to 4 inches and the other said Nashville is going to “dodge the bullet” and get NO SNOW AT ALL. Now that is 2 reporter s from the same station, using the same equipment, and EVEN THEY aren’t remotely close to each other in terms of the forecast!!! Its just so crazy. We can and have landed a roover on another planet in our solar system and gotten better weather reports and forecasts than we do on local news!!! haha

Seriously, though, it still seems completely up in the air right now as far as what we are going to get just 2 days from now. I assume both of you have a better shot than me at getting snow and most likely are hoping you don’t get it. Meanwhile I likely wont get anything but rain even though I would give anything for a huge snow! ha (I know I just got cursed by you guys and most other sensible adults for admitted to WANTING snow! haha).

Oh well…no telling what’s coming and it really won’t matter that much anyway. I have all wheel drive and great tires for it, so I should be fine. Of course it is THE OTHER DRIVER you have to worry about!

3 Likes

I’m not too tore up about it, I’m just resigned to some snow (hopefully only snow, no ice or sleet) on Sunday. Part of me (the naive kid part) wants to see a big snowfall, but the ‘adult’ part doesn’t want any of it. Because it would maybe mean power outages, and missing work Monday, which would mean having to work next Saturday. Any missed day at the greenhouse has to be made up somehow. Plus I’m not too geeked about driving in the mess.

1 Like

One model last night had 20 inches falling on the KY/TN border.

This is the newest nam run…

1 Like

Here’s the GFS, looks like we’re looking at about 7in, but a different track of the low could mean a big difference either way. The trend has been less snow than previous model runs, maybe because of it being above freezing a bit on Sunday afternoon means more ice/sleet than snow. Not a good scenario.

2 Likes

And I don’t need to go out if it’s slick…so there.

I expect it to be white before the weekend is over…how about that for a forecast? :slight_smile:

Don’t know, but you all appear to be in more danger of snow Saturday morning…us more likely Sunday.

2 Likes

In Brownsburg between Lexington and Staunton Virginia, expecting around ten inches from Sunday 7am until 4am Monday. Further south on the Virginia/NC line, up to 18 inches. Temp of 27 degrees for both high and low on Sunday. Dont see that very often. Later in the week, single digits to mid teens for low. It will be around for a while.

Walmart was insane tonight. Between Covid and Izzy, the shelves were almost bare.

2 Likes

-21f at 730 this morning. windchill to -45f! feel bad for my chics but i know they can take it. doing my final rise on 4 loaves of sourdough bread from a starter i got from baker creek. its very strong. in 2 days it was ready to bake with. a good day to stay in and bake bread. we havent had a over 3in snowfall since mid dec. just a inch here 2in there. havent had to snowblow so not complaining.

3 Likes

Ravens! We don’t even have crows anymore

1 Like

I have had my garden greens bed open… uncovered for a few days now… hoping some direct sun will revive them some.

+40 F… here in TN this rainy Saturday morning.

1 Like

Once it’s colder than -20 it really sucks.

It’s “only” -15 here this morning.

2 Likes

Got an inch here, topped up the snow cover a little

1 Like

i have a pair that nest in my big spruces. since they took residence there, they have driven the crows out. ok with me as crows will eat my fruit but ravens don’t. i even put out scraps for them when they’re nesting. read somewhere they’re the most intelligent bird on the planet.

1 Like

ground blizzard going on across the street. brutal! going to test cold hardiness of everything this winter.

3 Likes

I’ve got a few that hang around. Such neat birds. They aren’t that skittish either. I can walk pretty close to them before they fly. I’ve thrown a few things out to them. I saw another rabbit last night–probably got an email that his cousin was flattened by an f150.

6F here…clear skies. Roads were horrible last night with that fresh snowcover. They didn’t plow the side roads either–they’ll probably sand them today.

Lots of people complaining about sky high heating bills. I know someone that had one that was over $600 (for a month) and that was for a house in the city. The cold brings all kinds of special packages.

2 Likes

Instead of I-95, looks like I-85, I-81, I-77, I-64 have a real good chance of accidents and people stranded for hours this time.
Good hibernation Sunday and the holiday Monday!

So far
so good here.
No precip.of any kind and none
expected in next 4 to 6 hours.
High elevations like Jellico Mtn,
Clinch Mtn and Cumberland Gap may be
getting some slickness already coming in from the Southwest as much
of Tennessee looks to be getting rain.

one was in my chicken run this morning eating some of the stuff that froze before the chics could eat it. was hammering away until he’d get a chunk to break off. thought the wind was going to blow him to Canada. tough bird! buggers are having a hard winter this year.

1 Like

Hard to keep H2O for the chicks this time of year, eh?

yep. a pain in the ass to break the ice out. they get what they get once a day then eat snow. not ideal but its what wild birds do to survive. does slow the egg laying of my yearling hens some. making 2 gal. of yogurt right now. will give them some while its still warm with some trail mix, mixed in… they love it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at How is your weather? (Part 2).