How is your weather? (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from How is your weather? (Part 1) - #10029 by steveb4.

Previous discussions:

im 1st!:wink:

5 Likes

heading into cold and cloudy

2 Likes

A person can use a heated dog watering bowl for watering chickens in the winter. I’ve also seen people use old crockpots.

2 Likes

Light drizzle out here. Barely strong enough to register on the rain gauge. Just annoying enough to keep me out of the yard.

2 Likes

Feeling more like winter now. It is snowing every week or more now.

3 Likes

ive tried those heated bowls. they’re good till 0f but freeze after that. only benefit is the ice doesnt freeze to the bottom of the bowl so its easy to dump out and refill.

1 Like

When I first moved to Cold Brook from Leonardsville (NY) I thought the crows here were “mentally challenged” they sounded so weird with that cronk, cronk, cronk instead of a Caw! I finally learned they were ravens not crows. I just love them, such neat birds. The ravens like the forested area here by the house, and the crows like the open area by the orchard, although the ravens keep them pushed out of there for the most part. We have a beautiful view of the Adirondacks from the back of our house and we can watch the ravens play in the thermals. They rarely come close to the house, but a friend of ours up the road a mile has them close to his home frequently.
Anyway, a high of -2F today and currently -10F @ 8pm.

4 Likes

I had 3F in my car. Clear skies and no wind but clouds are suppose to move in and the temp is suppose to rise overnight. Showing -10F Weds nite/Thurs next week.

1 Like

Looks like the heaviest snow currently stretches from NE of Atlanta to SE of Charlotte NC.

Light stuff started in this area getting going currently
…forecast 2 to 6 inches, but rain, sleet may be part of the equation next 24 hours.

We have 3 or so this morning… but still snowing huge flakes heavily… 34 degrees… very wet snow.

TNHunter

3 Likes

At 6AM it had dropped to 32F here and had just started snowing. It has changed back to snow now but for the past half hour it was raining, with the temp down to 29. Ugh.

Not quite a half inch of snow on the ground so far. Our local weather folks can’t decide if we’re going to get a lot of snow, or just a lot of rain. They’ve been hedging their bets more than they usually do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

7 F this morning – marginally the coldest temperature in 3 years but still above the supposed average low for my Z7A/6B location ~ 0 F.

The average low for the past 3 years is ~ +10 F.

Snow seems to be veering inland.

1 Like

Getting deeper here in TN… and still coming down hard. Still 34 degrees.

2 Likes

The pond out my back door (that’s named Lake) is freezing over. This picture was yesterday, more ice today (it’s 12*F right now). I’m in central Maryland, which is not an area I think of as having frozen ponds, except in those odd years where we maybe have a week with highs in the teens (happens every 5-8 years). This just has seemed like a pretty normal winter and yet ice in the pond. I guess it’s pretty shallow and not a lot of movement.

4 Likes

Increased our forecast from 8-12” to 12”-14” of snow tomorrow. It’s been soo cold, probably our coldest January in 8 years or so. Multiple single digit mornings with a 0 degree day in the 5 day forecast. Hopefully my new blackberry bushes survive, I planted them pretty late in the season.

4 Likes

First time we’ve been below -20 in a few years, we were -21F @ 4:30am. Warming up fast this a.m. as this storm from down south pushes in, then we’ll be back to cold again.

2 Likes

A little south of PA, but in the DC area, they are saying it’s the coldest it’s been in 3 years. And officially ended a record streak (2.95 years) above 20

1 Like

This storm has dipped farther into Mississippi and picked up a lot of moisture…so somebody is going to get a good one, (Kentucky may get off light on this storm). But, from 27 to 32 at the surface and apparently above 32 in the air, freezing rain turning to rain seems a possibility. Then back to light snow tonight.
But… we shall see…it is indeed unpredictable as the temperatures are on the line between FLUFFY AND LIQUID.

That is impressive. Didn’t realize how mild it was there.

Up to 18F here…going into the 20Fs today. cloudy.

1 Like