How is your weather? (Part 1)

Wow, epic cold for some of you guys. Here they’re calling for -1 on Wed night. The only bright spot is that after Thursday or so, the temps will moderate a bit.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6g8QYY2SaI

Big stuff in my location. Prediction of 2" of snow tonight.

1 Like

Weds is supposed to set the record low high for all time here

Nasty here on the W MI Lakeshore.

Picked up about 8 inches of snow…winter wonderland up here.

1 Like

looks like we are at record snowfall for the date and on track to be the snowiest ever. already been below average temps. and real cold started 1.5 months early. luckily my plants are all covered with plenty of snow for protection from this cold snap but the same snow breaks branches off of my trees and bushes as it melts. good luck to you folks who are not used to dealing with this deadly cold. start to get prepared before it hits. treat it like a bad storm and stock up. if you lose power at those temps it could become deadly quick!

2 Likes

Got about 5-6" of snow last night. Forecast says -35 tomorrow night and -34 Wednesday night. Highs of -15 and -19. Northwest winds will push windchills to -65.

I won’t be offended if I never see it this cold again

2 Likes

5 days of rain forecast beginning Thursday. :nerd_face:

If the branches are low enough or if the snow is deep enough, snow will protect buds very well. I had a row of youngish peach trees maybe 10 years ago and all the fruit came off those low branches the following summer.

I will be interested in seeing if my container garaged trees make it through ok. No heat or anything in there…i suppose the cars give off a little heat…but its not that well insulated. I think i’ll throw a temp gauge in there and see how cold it gets.

1 Like

GFS shows 2 inches of rain for LAX Fri into Sat…Another shot of rain Mon and temps look to cool quite a bit.

LAX is often a poor predictor of coastal San Diego weather.

id keep a eye on them for sure. I’ve lost so many plants in containers stored in the garage that i gave up planting in containers here. unless you leave them outside and can pile snow around them, its hard to protect those roots.

Looks like a “cold” storm. Should be some good mountain snows with it.

Only reason i’m looking is a i got a friend leaving for LAX in a few days …i think she might not be happy. Maybe a week too late.

Where (what city) is she staying?

Snow cover here is light and fluffy - only good thing about this weather. It may save some plants that have no other hope

2 Likes

I’ve asked the same myself, why people live there. How do you people take it up there.

I’m teasing. :wink: Seriously, when temps get that cold, you people need a hug. :hugs:

Of course I have to answer these same climate questions from people in CA.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: about our climate. We get to put up with torrential spring (sometimes summer) rains, tornado winds, 90F+ degree days (sometimes for a month) insect and weed pressure beyond any reasonableness. Please tell me, why do I live here? :persevere:

Wait till spring frosts come and you will probably see some pretty pissed comments coming from a frustrated individual.

2 Likes

I may go out for more shoveling, to cover my little baby trees!!

I live on a corner lot so I’ve already done plenty. The trees are the only reason I’ll be going out again!

And for what its worth I had a Gerardi mulberry survive in the unheated garage here last winter. It’s only rated to one zone warmer though. What are you trying to get through the winter in pots?

My both sides of drive way has already high pile of snow. I can’t just shovel the snow,I need to transport snow to somewhere has less pile​:tired_face::cold_sweat: