How is your weather? (Part 1)

It’s what you’re used to, what you’re prepared for. I’m prepared for ten below. The infrastructure is prepared for it.

Twenty below is iffy, but we’ve gone thru it w/o disaster. Thirty, tho - are the pipes buried deep enough? Is the insulation thick enough? Will the car start w/o a block heater? Dunno, it’s never been that cold here. 200 miles north, they know how to deal with it, they have the experience.

3 Likes

2"!! WOW, Kids’ll be outta school for a week.
Coldest I remember was -26 when the wife and I lived in Cedar Rapids, Ia. Pipes froze in the walls but don’t recall any serious repercussions.
Be safe Bill, many of your neighbors won’t drive well.
We have forcasted low 40’s by the weekend, 80 degree temp change. That might have an effect on the fruit crop.

3 Likes

Lol.

Don’t rub it in Phil. I know you are way used to colder weather. Us tender skins can’t relate.

Give me some 100+ weather with humidity and you will be begging for your southern bones, lol.

3 Likes

I think in Pasadena… i’ll have to inform her that the weather might not be mid 70Fs and sunny like i said a week ago…oops.

1 Like

Yeah…-10 to -20F is easily handled here…not so sure about this -33F forecasted low… i hope some clouds or something show up.

Schools were cancelled today…and they cancelled Tues and Weds…kids are going to go nuts being stuck inside.

Gov just declared a state of emergency. All schools are closed for tomorrow. My teacher daughters are as happy as the kids.

2 Likes

Wrong again. Not all schools but the ones that close don’t have to make up the time.

Going to be a bountiful supply of stonefruit on my trees this year… you just wait.

Newest model run…thurs morning.

No way is there school thurs here…whole area will be between -30F and -40F…school buses will probably be frozen to the ground. This is Siberian cold.

2 Likes

theres pluses and minuses to all types of weather. you guys hang out in the ac in summer like we hunker around the wood stove in winter!

2 Likes

that doesn’t stop school here. 2ft. of snow in 20+ mph winds will tho.

Looks like pretty much every school district in the state has closed through Wednesday here.

1 Like

A dusting of snow, maybe an inch expected here on Wed. My gas is still turned off. National Grid is finally coming tomorrow in the am. To turn it back on. It’s been way over a week, going on two weeks with no hot water, dryer or stove. Horrible!

Pasadena CA forecast:

2 Likes

Regarding schools closing because of the cold, our county closed last Tuesday not because of snow or ice, but because it was 8 degrees that morning. Guess they didn’t want kids waiting out in the cold for the bus.

Supposed to be close to 0 Thu morning, so I imagine there’ll be no school that day either.

Rob,

Do you have many peach trees outside? I thought you were growing them in pots?

I have some grafts of Saturn and maybe 1 or 2 other varieties. I have few different apricots and some japanese plums. I also have some pluot grafts. I have no idea if anything will make it. Will be a good test year.

And yes…i have quite a few things in pots in garage…but that stuff should be safe…i hope.

1 Like

-15 with a -43 windchill right now. I have to believe the windchills will hit the -70s tonight if these 35 mph winds continue and it hits the forecast temp of -34

2 Likes

So here is our hourly later…

Thats cold i havent seen. Im used to snow and 10 degrees not tons of snow and -30…

-70 my God, will you use something other than LP then since I dont think it works past -45 from your other MN friends were saying on the other forum.