How is your weather? (Part 1)

Nowhere fast…?

1 Like

Getting ugly here…

2 Likes

Damn!
Stay safe. Heard the severe storms are suppose to be extreme in the south today.

2 Likes

Probably nowhere. I only witnessed the one group this weekend.

62F today…another cold front moves thru though…rain later. Sunny tomorrow…another shot at 70F weds and rain the end of the week…

1 Like

22F and 21F forecast for Tues & Wed nights. So far, the only thing that may be affected are the wild Serviceberry blooms. The only other thing waking up are the lilac leaf buds and they’ll be fine.

I’m not sure how hardy wild serviceberry is…but tougher than apples and pears I’m thinking.

2 Likes

Glad to hear your plums doing ok. With at least three 30 degree lows over the past week, I have seen some significant losses. All my plums on my three large plum trees have turned black/lost. Lost about 75% of my Korean Giant asian pear fruits, and perhaps 25-50% of the others. This was my first year for any fruits on these trees. All my peaches look ok, but my one nectarine is looking bleak. Fruit still in the husk (is that the right term) look ok, but those out and esp those on the outside of the trees have been hit by the heavy frost/freeze. Apples look to be ok. Discouraging, but the honest truth is that this will make this an easier harvest for me. Trying to be positive.

On the other hand, I left my fruit journal out overnight in the rain. I have been keeping it for about 5 years and have written in it almost daily. Have drawn the orchard as it changes, notes on each tree, est bloom date, number of fruits each year. It hurts me to see I was so careless.

I take my encouragement from all of you who have come to accept that we are no match for mother nature.

3 Likes

It is called forgetfulness…and it apparently will get worse! I ‘lost’ a tool today…and it was in plain view all the time.

Sorry to hear you lost your records to the rain.

I used to keep really detailed records when I had lots of bee hives. With the fruit trees, if the tag gets gone or illegible, I may be guessing as to what I’ve got. Because, although 30 years ago I could remember 20 apples and 15 grapevines without any records, that’s not going to work with about 200 grafted apple trees, plus a number of other trees.

2 Likes

I’ll be so happy when we get out of this Jet Stream/Northerly wind funk we are in. Sick of the cold & wind!

3 Likes

most of them are at least hardy to z3. canadian serviceberry up to z2.

2 Likes

all the storms have been passing to the south of us. we’ve got very little rain so far but we do got snow coming tom. but not much. couple of inches then a warm up thurs. my stepson in N.S says its been rain after rain and hasn’t seen the sun there in 3 weeks. s. new england seems to all be suffering from crappy spring weather.

1 Like

Thanks @BlueBerry, I cant imagine having that many trees! I’m no stranger to forgetfulness. Today I walked from my she-shed :grinning:to my garden three times (honest) and didnt recall what I was going to get until the third time

I agree, it will be nice to get out of this troublesome weather pattern. I have tomato plants I started in my bathroom, my kitchen, and my mudroom just waiting for warmer days. I set out three tomato plants inside wall of waters protection, and one was peeking out of the top and I lost it. The other two were fine.

I got the courage to open up my journal and much of it is ok. I think the picture on the front (peach trees of course) soaked up a lot of rain, while the book and its heavy cover protected most except for the margins. Thank goodness!!

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your lost tomato plant, next time try to remember to prune back any plants sticking up out of your WOWs. Glad to hear that your journal survived for the most part. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Saw my first bumble bee today.

68F here…but 80F just south in N Iowa…

Rest of the week looks not so good…lots of little rain chances…but temps hover around 60F.

Once Again, the rain missed us - I fear it may be another dry year

1 Like

There was a strong cell just south of here but it was moving due east… It also has been a somewhat dry April … my pond needs some more water.

My lily pads made if over the winter. One of them is already starting to grow. The birds were in there taking a bath… they got it made in my yard…eat my sweet cherries, peck all my apples, peaches// build nests in my garage, treat the pond like its a hot tub… :bird:

1 Like

This was one of the most miserable cold days I can ever remember in the month of April. We had a bitter wind and snow showers all day…topped out at 37 with windchills in the 20s. We are in a major weather funk up her in the Northeast.

2 Likes

With a dome of intense heat over the southwest…that probably means troughing in the east… naefs seems to show that for the first week of May.

I wish i lived in the desert. Days like this make me want to live somewhere that is warm everyday. I guess this horrible climate is one reason population density isn’t that high around this area which helps in the current climate but still…i should have made a run when i was younger :sunny:

3 Likes

Our local weather man said today was the coldest day of April 22 since 2002 in our area!! The high was 41 and low was 29 but with 25 mph wind all day made it feel a lot colder.

There will be more rain in the 10 forecast than the sun, too.

2 Likes

I drained a pond, caught the goldfish, gave it a good cleanup, and 5 hours later filled it back up. Couldn’t help but get wet feet, and hands in water all day.

But, warm enough I won’t get pneumonia here in Kentucky. Didn’t frost here last night.
And agreed this might have been the last chance of a freeze for the season. we’ll see.

2 Likes