How is your weather? (Part 2)

Robins everywhere this morning! We had them early last year too, but not this early.

Ours came a few weeks ago. By the 10’s of thousands here.

6 Likes

It will be about 10 weeks before we see any robins here. About a week later the first bluebirds will pass through. Happens like clockwork every year.

2 Likes

As the PNW got the warm side of it overnight, we had the rare occasion of the outside temperatures overtaking the greenhouse temperatures through the predawn hours this morning. Here’s my chart since midnight:

Quite the cyclone, whatever you call it:

1 Like

For a state that constantly is on fire, i would think water would be a good thing. Plus this helps fill all those reservoirs in N California.

Just looked it up. The super el nino of 97-98 had LA airport get 31.28 inches of rain—right now LA airport is sitting at 5.5 inches thru yesterday (for the season).

32F and snow still. Roads are garbage again. I think i like 35F and rain better.

3 Likes

Yeah, though it’s better when it’s spread out over a whole season, these high intensity events cause flooding and landslides and often don’t add as much to the reservoirs as they need. But it does look like a wet pattern for awhile, so that’ll be good for the reservoirs and snowpack for sure.

1 Like

Winter continues. At least the temps are above zero and not below.

1 Like

It’s cold here, 45 degrees this morning, but at least it’s dry. I have a lot of work to do in my garden.

2 Likes

What a weird day when it’s about the same temperature for both of us! Not dry here in Seattle, though.

1 Like

That doesn’t look too bad. Anytime its above 20F in the day is fine by me.

I had 7F this morning but lots of subzero temps over the deeper snow areas north and west.

Sunshine again.

3 Likes

So lucky to be able to garden year round. The rabbits are slowly eating my plants and they won’t go in the trap. I see their tracks everywhere. Somehow they are getting around the fence i put up around the blueberries. I hope it gets stuck in there and an owl eats it. :owl:

2 Likes

so glad we dont have cottontail up here. snowshoe hare prefer evergreens and stay in the deep woods. voles are bad this year. seen lots of tracks on the 1st snow. hopefully my bait stations take care of them. might have to think about getting another cat.

3 Likes

I’m so glad we put a thick piece of wood under our garden gate and they don’t come in. But in the front yard they do nibble young rose leaves.
At least I don’t think we have voles here, but on Instagram I think people not too far away found them.

another good thing about the low amount of snow right now is they have to move in the open which exposes them more to predators. when there is heavy snow they can move under it, protected for nearly 5 months.

2 Likes

Minus eight degrees last night at my orchard. Deep snow.

2 Likes

I should have taken a picture. I saw a Harley at Menards yesterday afternoon. I have no idea what these people are thinking. It wasn’t that warm either and there is still snow/ice on a lot of roads. Also the pothole crew was out the past 2 days filling a million holes with the hot stuff.

just checked the snow depth website for new england. we are at only 2-4in. as was all northern new england. my local lake only has 3in. of ice when we are usually driving trucks on this time of year. can still drive the woods roads with a good set of tires on a 4x4 truck/ suv. crazy. mid 20’s and sunny in the 10 day. no snow at all forecasted. saving on the heating oil and no -0. ill take it.

2 Likes

Warm and rainy

2 Likes

There just isn’t any (real) cold air looking to drop down into the lower 48 at least on the 10 day. Euro has 80Fs in Dallas on Jan 11th. Should be 40Fs back up here. I do wonder if this will come back to haunt us late season. Probably snow in May.

3 Likes

Which way are they heading?

1 Like