How is your weather? (Part 1)

So Mars is -90F at the equator. Elton Musk is smart but I can’t see his plan of putting people on Mars for the cost of a home in San Fransisco. I hope they have dependable heat.

1 Like

Terraforming. But of course that will take 100+ yrs :stuck_out_tongue:

Try terraforming this old orb first

1 Like

Terraforming Mars sounds like the most expensive boon doggle in the history of the known universe.

It would be a lot less expensive to take care of what we have now.

And I consider myself as being pretty progressive.

1 Like

Hey…how about the 18z gFs for La Crosse… This is near record cold for here…I can’t recall the last time i was @ -30F…not saying we get there…but anything below -20 to -25F is rare…at least the last few decades.

3 Likes

High below 0 is my benchmark for really cold

2 Likes

Was just looking and came across Feb of 1996 …looking similar to what might occur…hopefully not as cold.

coldsnap

Rochester, MN with a high temp of -20F …lol lol

If I recall correctly, the winter of '95-'96 was responsible for the death of many, many deer in northern MN and northern WI.

I think you are right. I was in high school…i think we had at least a few days off during that stretch.

NWS Minnapolis:

As for what comes next week, the ensembles and deterministic models are both pointing to our most significant surge of arctic air coming down for much of the week. Early indications are that this could be something that brings -20F type lows, even to MSP, with highs remaining well below zero. With that said, if you go back 7-10 days ago, the arctic outbreak coming to end this week was forecast to be colder than what we are expecting to see, with models moderating some on the cold as we got closer. Given the 23.12 ECMWF has an arctic outbreak that would end up being historic for next week, I would expect some moderation in the forecasts for next week in the coming days, but it will still be well below normal to end January, that we are confident in.

OMG…this is a rare Euro look

If you’re planning a last second vacation…leave Monday morning and don’t come back until Sat.

2 Likes

Yesterday’s weather in Fairbanks Alaska.

1 Like

Currently -4 with a -26 windchill. This is as warm as it gets today, the actual temp is supposed to drop to -11 by this afternoon and to -22 tonight. Windchills from -35 to -40 later today/tonight. Yippee :roll_eyes:

Middle of next week currently forecast to have some of the coldest air I’ve seen since moving here in 2012. -30 maybe Tuesday and/or Wednesday night. I did icefish a couple days on Lake of the Woods one year when the actual temp was -35, but that was back in the '90s.

2 Likes

Currently in 20s, will go down to zero at night .thanks God it’s not snowing. I just envy bears that can hibernate all winter. It is beautiful outside though.

4 Likes

I burn with an outside wood furnace, it heats our water as well. I use a very small propane tank in the summer to heat the water but otherwise our house heat is all wood. We have the ability for propane heat I just haven’t used it in 6-7 years. Wood cutting, splitting, stacking is a lot of work. Last year I decided to have a semi load brought in so I am not hauling the wood out of the woods as well. That was much easier as it was work at your own pace.

Those first thing in the morning trips to the stop when its blowing 20-30 mph though and its -10 or so windchill will pinch your nose shut real quick.

4 Likes

I thought my internet was being slow, so I was waiting for the bottom half of your picture to finish loading :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Moose, could you post a picture of that. We had snow storms in the 1970s like that here on the lakeshore of W MI but we don’t get snow falls like that anymore it seems. 2013 was pretty bad, we had snow into Memorial day but not in God awful amounts and you describe, it just lingered and was brutal cold for here.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Is it a boiler then? That is, it heats the fluid which runs through lines underground into your house’s heater exchanger and hot water tank? Getting some more snow now.

Speaking of propane tank, my niece and nephew who live in our old house down the hill had their propane run out two days before it dropped to 8 degrees. So, they had to sleep with an infrared heater in the living room. Plus their water valve under the house busted because of the cold. Thankfully he’s a plumber and was able to fix it a couple days ago, and the tank got filled that day, too.

Heh, yeah that sounds like a pleasant experience. And, it’s supposed to be much colder next week. I keep saying we’re one more day closer to spring.

We had more rain yesterday, and this morning a skiff of ice and snow. Not much but enough to cancel school for our county today. With all the hilly, curvy roads here they don’t take chances when the weather turns bad.

Yes the boiler system you would expect is what I have. I’ll have to take a pic at the stove tonight for fun. It’s supposed to get quite nasty here tonight. Nothing predicts the windchill that I can find in the models but i’m sure its out there somewhere. Our 3 week outlook looks pretty darn similar to this extended forecast. wthr2 wthr

2 Likes

This is our 10 day forecast. Looking at a -2 night next week, coldest in three years.

Not too bad compare to Chicago

1 Like