How is your weather? (Part 1)

The prevailing winds here pick up a lot of snow and pile it on the road (mostly to the S of us). Those snow drifts get packed, like concrete. One year there was the typical big drift in the road, and the plow (big sanding dump truck with blades on the front) couldnā€™t get thru it. So he backed up to get a running start. Ended up braking the mount for his blade. He had to chain the blade up and go back to the shop. The county sent up a road grader to handle that drift.

4 Likes

yes, about an hour south of me. I donā€™t think this last one caused as many school closings here, everything was pretty well cleaned up by Monday morning

1 Like

-10F on March 3rd & 4th. We havenā€™t got this kind of cold into March that I remembered. Oh well, maybe less pests this year.

Tony

someone in western maine posted a pic of their snow mobile parked on their roof! :wink:

Record rainfall in TN valley this February.

https://apnews.com/30808544ac354af4beb0ee73ea094eec

All the township (dirt) roads around here are plowed by graders. Regular State or County plow trucks would never be able to deal with the poor traction (no salt or sand used) and drifts.

ā€¦and yes to the wind and the snow becoming like concrete. Thatā€™s exactly what we have here. When I was digging my truck out this a.m. I climbed around on 4-5ā€™ of snow without breaking through. I weigh about 230 lbs.

2 Likes

We are on a bit of a warm up, 51 today, similar tomorrow, then rain and a cool down.

Sitting at 2nd snowiest Feb thru today (30 inches)ā€¦should pick up a few more inches before the month is thru. Rochester, MN sitting at about 40 inches of snow for the monthā€¦ This area only avg about 44 or so inches for the entire winterā€¦

The snowfall records for Feb hereā€¦this one is a goner me thinks.

snowiest

interesting that 3 of these years also were the top 10 snowiest Marchā€™s on record hereā€¦ughhhhhhhhhā€¦lets hope that isnā€™t the case this time around.

4 Likes

Same here. Second snowiest February everā€¦:confounded:

1 Like

x3! if we continue with this pattern it will break 08ā€™ record for most snowfall. we got 200in. that year here.

2 Likes

I have hunch next Monday might be one of those too cold for school days. I could see another cancellation happening.

The added minutes to the school day here and got rid of our early release days to make up time.

Prepareā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I can see -40 in central KS as being realistic. Our forecast here in central/west central MN is calling for -20 both Saturday and Sunday night.

2 Likes

Maybe -40 is departure from normal???

3 Likes

Temp anomalyā€¦ just means off the avg for that time period. Its going to be coldā€¦the question will be record cold or not. I do think -20F or better is looking more and more likelyā€¦just need the stars to line up with calm winds/clear skies. We have the snowpack.

Good newsā€¦ after said cold shot blast Arctic plungeā€¦cold retreats and we should see more typical Marchā€™ish tempsā€¦although nothing resembling spring.

That makes much more sense. My bad

1 Like

Eau Claire, Twin Cities and St Cloud have all broken Feb snowfall recordsā€¦ Flooding is almost a given with this setup along the Mississippi River.

1 Like

Whole lotta snow along the river north of St. Cloud all the way to the headwaters

would you guys stop sending your weather this way. :wink: snows covering windows now. total white out outside with windchills in the -20ā€™s.

3 Likes