How is your weather? (Part 1)

I’m surprised a thatched roof isn’t cooler than corrugated sheet metal

1 Like

Wow you get some snow up there. We are mostly snow free here except shaded areas have a little on the ground. Did get a dusting overnight along with very strong winds. About 20F this morning… lots of clouds. I noticed the river has a layer of ice on it… nothing i’d ever walk on it.

Should see a nice stretch of normal 30s/40Fs after today… i do wonder if this mild air will mean clouds clouds clouds… tis the time of year for that.

1 Like

@ltilton - Am not always clear. Bad habits. I meant to see the thatched roof is cooler as opposed to the iron sheets but people here look at it in the sense that they going up in the world. It s a funny old world !

1 Like

I’d be interested to know how your ROSEMARY makes it.
I’ve had several rosemary plants die over the years…but have not grown ARP.
Thanks.

1 Like

no warm stretch here. hi temps in the low 20’s . supposed to hit -2f tonight. its going to be another long cold winter! substantial snows are coming earlier in the last 10 yrs. and the cold is more consistent instead of having several winter thaws like we used to, it just stays very cold all winter. climate change may be affecting other parts of the country but here, we’re looking for the glaciers to come down from Quebec!

3 Likes

I’ll definitely let you know. The only other reportedly zone 6-friendly rosemary I’ve is tried Madeline Hill Hardy, but it kicked it after one winter. But that may have been because I had it in a non-sheltered location and covered it with straw which ended up wet. Arp, though uncovered, has made it through a few nights in the 20s and one down to 19 so far—with no visible damage; so I’m hopeful.

1 Like

Always has been. I remember people throwing out good old furniture because it wasn’t fashionable and replacing it with trashy stuff.

1 Like

@ltilton we are funny people aren’t we. What was fashionable last year will come back in a few years time only with different twist this time and we flock to the shops …

In saying that, people do work hard for their to be able to spend it how they see fit.

Oops

I can not believe Mrs G would ever buy “trashy stuff”

3 Likes

We received 3" of snow on Monday. Temps then into the low teens and in the single digits with the wind chill. Too early for this mess here. There are still trees full of greenish leaves on them.

2 Likes

Could be 50F on Tues…heat wave… a more mild stretch in store. Didn’t even feel that cold this morning (30f ish)… Still some snow sitting on the ground in spots.

Rain showing up in the models for California …and much cooler air…as we head into late month. Pattern change is in the works.

Nov 15
Hi guys! First weather update in a long time. There is a bit of snow outside and it’s just above freezing.
Inside the GH it’s 70F. The roses are happy!

6 Likes

That s at five in the morning. It got up to about 30 degrees Celsius at some point. Was not fun but we have this :

7 Likes

Beautiful.

2 Likes

Key West is not expected to hit 80F today…first time in 233 days…last longest streak was 1965 at 225 days… i’m not sure how they’ll cope with mid 70Fs :snowman:

Looks like a pattern change in the works for the southwest US (mostly S California/Arizona/Mexico). Rain showing up int he models for next Weds?Thurs in Los Angeles… Another storm looks to hit the state late month.

Mild temps (for this time of year) around here…40Fs and maybe a 50F the next 5 or so day for highs… Rain late week.

2 Likes

Heavy clouds and rain mixed with snow this afternoon…mid 30Fs… yuck. I guess this is typical for this time of year…

Late week the GFS has a very wet system moving thru… shows like 3/4 of an inch of rain (a lot of rain for this time of year…)…a “panhandle hook” type system…although the snow will stay well north of here…Minneapolis ish…maybe north…depends on the track.

1 Like

I knew it… now the forecast here has clouds all week…mild but clouds. The GFS now has over an INCH of liquid rain late week…that is a lot for the time of year… Gun deer season starts next weekend…should be perfect…not too warm not too cold…dry

Anchorage AK hit a record high on Sat of 45F…then got up to a foot of snow in the area…first big snowstorm for them.

Last week of November into beginning of Dec looks mild’ish in the east and cool’ish in the west. Anyone looking for a heatwave head to Europe (Germany/etc)…looks very mild///record warmth…

1 Like

same here rain/ snow showers all week and average temps of mid to upper 30’s.