How is your weather? (Part 1)

Image of goldfish getting a scrub

1 Like

I slipped and went for a swim in my pond last summer… those pond liners are like slip and slides.

Reminds me of when i’ve been at the boat landing (back when i had a boat) and would occasional see someone slip and about break their neck on the slime that would form right where the concrete would stay wet enough from waves/etc but not underwater. You can see some really crazy stuff at a busy boat landing on a Saturday in summer.

Boat story… i had a small boat (this was probably 15 years ago)…well a good size cruiser ran out of gas and the guy yells at me to see if would tow him…i said sure (it wasn’t that far) so we get near the boat ramp and i’m just putzing along but i didn’t really think about how much weight/energy i was towing so when i finally released him to glide into that dock he sticks his legs out to bring his boat to a stop and i thought his legs were going to snap…oops.

Temp has dropped all night here…down to 40F. We did hit 70F yesterday for a i think the 3rd time. My sister in Omaha was bragging they hit 80F on Facebook…i said well they had 6 inches of snow less then a week ago.

Nothing blooming yet…very close. Apricots got hit hard and this winter wasn’t even that bad. Peaches/nectarines…eh…a few flowers look to have made it. Plums look good. About 50% of my chip buds that i placed last summer are pushing green. Seems about normals.

A plum (chip budded–parafilm still hanging after winter) of something on krymsk… its in my notes buried somewhere what i put where…or so i hope.

4 Likes

I’m glad I got my plowing and raspberry patch cleaned up yesterday as it’s raining today, and will be off and on all day.

Thankfully we are done with the freezes, for the next ten days anyways, but will be in kind of a rainy pattern during that time. It’ll be a while before we can plant anything.

1 Like

I visited a house 10 miles south of Lexington today…someone who value mulberries. He had trees loaded with fruit…all blackened along with the leaves form last week’s cold. :frowning:

1 Like

Phoenix, AZ shows 4 days of 100F or better… Bake time in the desert.

Showing 60Fs here the next few days…and maybe warmer in the extended…time to plant out a few more things. I think any hints of winter are behind us. Even nights in the 30Fs look like they could be done.

1 Like

WU is showing 36 here for overnite Sunday

Yeah i think the models are holding clouds up here. Looks like a good shot of rain Monday…with a surge of warmer air moving in. Still looks very spring extended. Not sure i want to put tomatoes/peppers in yet…seems like whenever i do that they just sit and wait until its 80F and warmer nights.

What we need is a big fan in Arizona pointing NE…

1 Like

I certainly hope I’ve finally learned my lesson about not setting those out too early, after last year.

But the plants are in good shape under lites, not at all leggy, so they can stay inside.

1 Like

My tomatoes are bad…peppers are still small…i started more. They really all catch up when the heat/humidity shows up. My herbs all look good… I’ve got some artichokes that i’m going to plant out tomorrow…last year they formed heads but the flowers rotted…just way too wet i think. I may just have to give up on lettuce and other cool season crops in spring. Maybe i’ll try for the fall again…spring is just too harsh here…its either snowing or its 80F… and the heat can really lock in even in May. I’ll probably start them early though for the fall…last year i think i started them too late in the summer.

I took my ginger outside for the first time. Finally turned off their heat pad. They are very pot bound but i still can’t put them out. Soil is too cold. Maybe in May if the extended looks mild enough.

Did get up to 63F … was able to clear a part of my garden that creep charlie had taken over. This time it stays out. I actually removed the top few inches of soil. First apricot blooms are just about open.

1 Like

I should have started my peppers 2 weeks earlier. Tiny little things now, next to the big tomato plants.

1 Like

Peppers take a while to get going. I think my potting soil is garbage for starting tomatoes. I use to use those peat pellets and they always did great.

Planted out my artichokes and celery. The artichokes hadn’t been repotted and the root was probably a foot long when it came out of the little pot. I really should have repotted them over a month ago.

My first blooms were today. One of the apricots.

66F …sun and clouds. Nice day with very little wind. Looking ahead…wet early in the week and maybe a shot at some real heat late in the week/next weekend. Probably 70Fs or even an 80F.

I got some apricot blooms but don’t see any bees.

Dunno where the mason bees are. They opened up their tubes, but I haven’t seen them come out. Even on the few warm and sunny days - no bees.

Mid to high 80’s for the next 5 days or so. Not looking forward to working from home next week.

Veggies are loving it. Trees are growing, should have a nice nectarine crop for the first time. No figlets yet though…

1 Like

We hit 90 ° here in NorCal can’t imagine how hot it got in the desert.

Death Valley was 102F when i looked and Palm Springs hit 100F. I think that is the 1st time for both this year… Scratch that…Death Valley has been 100F the last 3 days… 104F yesterday and they are starting off the morning warmer …82F for the overnight low…awesome.

deathvalley

55F and sun here already this morning. Should be a gorgeous day…at least the 1st half…rain maybe later.

1 Like

Lookslike the threat of frost has abated for this overnite

Which is just as well as I now have stuff in bloom

1 Like

been dry and sunny with temps in the mid 40’s. most of the snow is gone except snowbanks. rhubarb is up and currants and honey berries starting to leaf out. chics and ducks pumping out eggs. got my 1st goose egg. nearly 2xs the size of a duck egg which is nearly 2xs a big chic egg. 1 egg meal!

3 Likes

Still in the low 60Fs here… Hit 71F today… just gorgeous. I had all my plants outside. Trying to be careful so i don’t burn them to a crisp. Had some on and off rain drops this evening.

Getting some fresh air…
Goldfish plant …something like that.

Cinnamon

Coffee

The past month even the house plants have started putting on lots of new growth…i just can’t put them in direct sun…they’ll spend the summer outside…although last year my green tea really didn’t care for the heat/humidity. My bird of paradise i’m hoping blooms. That has really nice leaves right now and did great this winter.

5 Likes

Sitting at 48F… with strong north winds…had a nice run of 60Fs and 70Fs and today not so much. Nice warm up in store for late week…with 70F coming back Fri/Sta… Did get a little rain here yesterday…just enough to green everything up good. The trees are mostly starting to push leaves now…some more then others. Should be full on summer leaf out in another week.

Extended shows no warmth love for the eastern half the country for the second week of May…

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been patiently waiting for things to warm up. At least as we go forward, it’s a warmer average to be below!

1 Like