How is your weather? (Part 1)

southwest WI.

We were above 50F this afternoon. Too bad the days are so short this time of year.

At 61 I sprayed some weed killer (weed not grass). We’ll see if enough sun to make it work. Friday supposed to be 62 or 63.

Here in Port Orchard Washington
Dry in the high 30s.
Typical December weather, though a bit dryer.

Same dry and high 30’s here, teens at night. Unusual for the eastern slope of the Divide this time of year. I think Farmer’s Almanac is saying not a lot of snow this year.

We got an inch of rain last week - enough to keep the drought at bay for a while

They Said it would snow, but too warm

1 Like

57 today. Overcast and drizzly. Need Sun!

Very dry here. Just a trace of precip this month. Shows a warm up early next week into the upper 40Fs. I might need to water some of my potted trees before moving them into the garage. I haven’t checked, but i’m pretty sure the ground is frozen at this point.

Been drizzling here in Kentucky for about 12 hours now. Just above the sleet/snow temperatures that the Cincinnati area had this morning. I saw much of North Carolina also has flurries and sleet turning to drizzle.

WeatherNation no Twitter: "A confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado is is moving NE at 35mph near Tampa FL. Take shelter immediately! Tornado warning goes until 4:45PM #FLwx #TornadoWarning https://t.co/ycI1XBvpEQ" / Twitter

We had over an inch and a half of rain yesterday. it was a nasty raw day…today it’s chilly…

At least 1/2 inch of freezing rain and sleet on the ground. We were right on the edge between snow and ice.

1 Like

1st serious cold snap a week from now. Gfs has low single digits. Maybe an inch of snow this weekend/slop/sleet. Overall pattern looks mild right thru the end of month…that cold shouldn’t last long.

We were lucky, we only caught the edge of Gail with 8-10" of snow, a lot better than south of us. Binghamton had 41".

No thanks on the 40 inches. I read about that. After a cold start to fall it really has been the mildest/least snowy in memory.

It does appear we quickly warm near 50F mid week and then plummet to 0F or so (1st single digits this season). Quickly turn mild again. That cold is really going to freeze the ground with no snow protection.

We were -6F last night. The deck boards were poppin’! I had a late 1800’s farm house and the rafters would let out a boom that sounded like gun fire when the temps began to drop below 0F.

3 Likes

When we had -33F a couple winters ago i had natural gas smell coming from the gas meter. The guys came out and said they tightened it some but the cold was shrinking a gasket or something and that was letting some gas out. They ended up replacing the whole thing in the spring (old design). Cold weather really messes with stuff. Starting a cold car at -20F …you get all those weird noises that never sound good.

Shortest days of the year. Enjoy the darkness. I think some weird planet thing is happening. Got to be a good sign in 2020. Aliens will probably land shortly and start harvesting us.

Cold still on tap for mid next week. Should be coldest shot so far this season.

3 Likes

Light “Christmas snow” this evening. Looks decent the next 3 days then a 40s to 50ish degree rain/wind storm (what else is new?) for Dec 24 & 25. Wind and flood warnings already circulating. Good grief.

Cold shot is on the way… Looks like it digs pretty deep even into the Florida peninsula. Still nothing for up here…i remember a Xmas with -26F temp. Temps near 0F with no snow cover should allow the ground to freeze hard. This is in an out fast. Watch Rapid City, SD be warmer then Miami.

I saw a guy ice fishing yesterday on the river. Didn’t think the ice was that thick.

3 Likes

As Seattle is coming up on our second light frost of this winter (31°F tonight), and as I’m pondering cold hardiness of things I’m planning to plant in my yard, I thought it might be fun to share this chart of cold & hot days that I made using NOAA data that I requested last month:

If these trends continue, Seattle might be moving from 8b to 9a before long! Also noteworthy that we averaged about two days with sub-freezing highs per year in the 1980s, but only one every other year for the 2010s.

2 Likes

Odds are good we’ll have snow on the ground Christmas morning. Warmer the next couple of days, but Wed night the rain starts, and then the cold blast hits, and by noon Thu the snow should start. Could be about 15 on Fri night, yikes. Good thing we got the propane tank filled up last week.

Can’t recall ever seeing snow on the ground on Christmas. But, I also lived in Texas for 30 years.