How long do pomegranates take to fruit?

I planted 3 parfianka pomegranates a couple of years ago. The bushes have really taken off (6’ tall and wide now) and I’m curious how long it takes them to set fruit? Anything I can check to see if they put on fruit buds/spurs for next year?

Mine fruited the next year but very late. So the fruit tasted awful. But year three onwards it set great tasting fruit. I think Poms set on new wood. There are no spur/buds as such.

1 Like

Year 2 for me. I have about a dozen on each tree. Probably variable quality, but will soon know.

2 Likes

I have two trees I planted and it took two or years before they started making them they froze back to the ground. They have come back now and hopefully next year they will start making again

I got this cutting in December 2017, and somehow it flowers now, not sure if it drops but it is still going as of now…a little weird…

5 Likes

That’s amazing! My cutting from December 2017 is about 3 feet now but very tender growth. I think I need to move the pot to better light. No where close to producing flowers yet.

1 Like

Hi Everyone! Especially ‘my Pom peeps’ . . .
I am back from ‘Zombie Land’. In the meantime, my 20-some poms (that I put in last spring), are doing GREAT! All but one survived . . . and thrived. This winter will be the big test. We’ll see how many can tolerate our VA winter.
I think that the answer to your question - How long till fruit? - varies from variety to variety . . . and depends on the planting and environmental conditions of each location.
My experience, here in eastern VA, is that it takes 4-5 years . . . starting out with a young plant that is about 2-3’ tall. But, other folks, in more ‘pom-friendly’ locales, may have a shorter wait, for fruit. I am very interested to see how my new crop of pomegranates - planted under as ‘ideal conditions as I could provide’ - will mature. I will keep everyone posted -
Good to be back. I’ll try to be more ‘present’ . . .
Things are looking up, a bit . . . in my life . . . since I last checked in.
Karen AKA PomGranny

13 Likes

Time in years to fruit varies a lot based on climate, variety, soil, sun light, damage and other things. Some can flower the same year as rooted or as grown from seed, some can flower the year after being rooted or grown from seed, the year it first flowers most likely it will not fruit. We have one pomegranate plant that has not fruited at all yet, and it’s in it’s 7th season, yet it did flower once. We have 4 more pomegranate plants, all planted this spring, and they are growing much faster than the other one did at that age, it must be the soil, soil in the new area is much better. Yet our first plant grew faster this year than the new ones did this year and is looking way fuller than all the new ones look. It’s really taking off now. How young or old it produces depends on how happy the plant is where it is, and in some cases on the variety. If this winter goes well our first pomegranate plant will very likely produce next year.

Hey PomGranny, great looking poms. May I ask how far they are spaced between plants within and between rows?

Did you root your poms from cuttings? If so, would you mind sharing the process? I want to create more. :slight_smile:

Well… no real process actually :slightly_smiling_face:. Pretty much wrapped it in a piece of parafilm and stuck it in potting soil. I found promegranate to be easier to root than figs. I also tried moist paper towel in ziplock bag method. But it started to mold on me. Easiest was just to put it in potting soil.

2 Likes

Awesome! How big were your cuttings? Did you take them when the bush was dormant or actively growing? Did you need to using rooting compound? I’m going to try to start a flat of them this weekend.

They were pencil thickness or less. I received from a fellow member during dormant season. No rooting hormone. They were not very fussy and rooted fairly quickly.

Thanks for the feedback. May I ask how long each one is? Definitely going to expand my poms this year!

Here in California they flowered the very first year, but dropped shortly after. Now year 3 it’s been a rocket, 8 ft tall (started 24") and has a few large poms getting closer to being ripe.

2 Likes

I’ll help you. It absolutely will drop this late in the growing season.

I planted a Salavatski Pomegranate in Apr 2015 that came from Edible Landscape in Virginia in a 1 gal pot. This is the 2nd year it bloomed, last year I had one fruit that did not mature. This year I have about 6 fruits and have harvest one already. It was tasty but the seeds are harder than I’d like. Also, this tree was growing like a bush but it froze back to just one good stock.

7 Likes

Each one was about 8 inches.

I give you guys a lot of credit growing these in a challenging climate. Well done!

Hmmmmm . . . I will have to ‘walk’ the distances again. If I recall, correctly - they are 12’ apart. ? My stride is about 36" . . . and I think I marked the holes 4 strides apart.
More between rows, for mowing and bringing in mulch, etc.
I have lots of room at the back of our property. A farmer has planted soybeans for years - back there. So, I backed my ‘orchard’ space almost to where the farmer plants.
I made a chart - and noted where each variety was planted . . . because I didn’t trust the tags to remain readable (and I bought many different varieties). I doubled up on the cold-hardy varieties - because I’m sure that the more fragile ones will bite the dust this winter!

1 Like