How long till roots form on bushes like seaberry

I lost 1 male but have another. I am trying to propagate a male via my only male seaberry. Using the water rooting method how long are we looking at? Would this method work on all bush like hazelnut and tart cherry bushes in the romance series?

Id shy away from rooting in water in all but the easiest rooting species, like willow or elderberry. Bubble cloning is a more refined water rooting method that probably would work with a broader range of species, but Id suggest a sterile medium like perlite kept at field capacity. Its the most reliable method IME

You also should pay attention to timing as it has a major affect on ease of rooting. Generally speaking semi-hard cuttings taken in mid-summer root easiest

1 Like

Like put them in a cup of perlite?

yeah, more or less. I like quart containers and clear quart containers for cloches. Plenty of places to read about it…

Starting Plants From Cuttings for the Home Gardener | UGA Cooperative Extension.

2 Likes

What about propagation via separation. How well does that work on seaberry, hazelnut and bush cherries?

division? should be pretty fail safe, as long as you get a little bit of crown tissue, it will generate roots pretty readily

1 Like

Is there a risk of breaking the crown doing this?

that’s kinda what division is. those species that respond well to division don’t really mind

1 Like

Can you use division on hazelnut and bush cherry too?

Yes. I don’t want to speak in absolutes but almost any plant that will propagate via suckers would be able to be propagated this way. The characteristics that allow them to sucker also let them easily regrow from things like dividing the crown

2 Likes

First things first, make sure your cuttings are atleast pencil width in diameter thats not a strict rule. Second, pinch off all the buds except the last two on the top of the cutting, then use coco coir with some perlite in it, root hormone is optional, they should start rooting out within 2 weeks.

If you want too root any cutting in water i highly recommend investing in an affordable air stone/aquarium pump, do’s away the hassle of having to refill the glass or container you have your cuttings in, and gives much needed oxygen to the water and cuttings so the water doesnt become a disgusting concoction of wild yeast and bacteria (smells like the ocean air meets poop…)

There is unfortunately not alot of information regarding the propagation of male seaberry cuttings, i stumbled upon a nursery article talking about how to propagate female cuttings, but ended the article with a scentence of “if you find a male seaberry cutting that roots readily tag it or take note of it ;)” funny but also a slap in the face to those who want to try their hand at propagation, but alas what can you do.

1 Like

I found a few videos. Namely from the same guy who goes by edible acres. He seems to have made videos of plenty of ways to propagate them. I guess there is cutting the bubbling way you said where he uses willows to help in root but that seems like a super niche setup, the other is via rhizome and the last appears to be separation. Luckily we are still early in spring where I live so I do a separation and hopefully turned one into 3. We will see how they take.

Also keep in mind, male seaberries are notorious for suckering like crazy.

1 Like

I noticed this. It seems like my titan is focusing most of its growth on the tops while my males are putting most of it into suckering. I separated my male seaberry and hopefully got 3 plants out of it in a year.