How people are really living off the land

There is a right way to do things. For instance in Alaska our idea of farming salmon is to run nurseries where millions of salmons are released into the wild. Years later they simply return to where they started.

Australia has vast expanses of grass land with little water resources. The least environmentally taxing way to extract calories from the land is cattle, where they get constantly moved to different areas to feed. The plants get a chance to recover, the cattle enriches the soil, and the damage caused by industrial farming is avoided.

3 Likes

Likely why civilizations that eat calories from cattle are the most obese and have health concerns and need the most hospitals and prescription drugs.

Nothing wrong with thatā€¦ perhaps it is how we will reduce populations.

Populations with 5X the US thrive on grains such as rice and eat vegetables. Whole religions dont eat cattleā€¦or pork. Perhaps they are all wrong.

I think coldwater fish are very healthy. I have a friend that is an eye surgeon and he prescribes fish oil or asks his patients to eat coldwater fish for the ocular nutrition. He said that eating animals with oil that are hard at room temperature clogs those tiny veins that are in our eyes, feet and private partsā€¦ while eating fish with oils that are not hard at room temperature along with cold pressed oils like olive oils are actually quite healthy. I had to get lasik eye surgery years agoā€¦ i think the fish oils and eating coldwater fish helped my recovery. Perhaps the oils that were hard at room temperature caused me to need the surgery that i ate in the past?

Hard to know.

Civilizations that are obese are not from eating meat. It is from eating an excess of sugar. The average in America is over 150 pounds of sugar per year where 75 pounds of that is fructose of which roughly 1/2 is turned into fat by your liver. Donā€™t complain about eating beef making people fat. Complain about the farmers who grow crops - mostly corn these days - that are turned into various sweeteners.

6 Likes

" protein in meat is directly contributing to obesity"

ā€œour over-consumption of meat is creating a caloric surplus weā€™re not burning off.ā€

Red meat kills you faster.

Its easy to deduct that people that eat more meat are less healthy and live shorter lives.

Im not complaining at all. I think everyone should live their lives the way that they want to. Some will be healthier and live longerā€¦ some will not. Its always been that way and probably always will.

Not long ago the Earth was flatā€¦ Not long ago we burned witches at the stake.

It takes a long time to move onward from the old ways.

Since Jamestown was mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I would like to clarify a few reasons why they struggled so badly in their early years. First of all they had to spend a lot of time and effort constructing homes and store houses with every wave of new people that arrived. They also spent a lot of time cutting cedar lumber and digging sassafras roots to ship back to England to make some money because Jamestown was an incredibly expensive venture.

Thing is, most of the people that died didnā€™t starve to death, at least early on. In the warm months the river had elevated levels of salt in the water and many of the people became severly ill or died from salt poisoning. On top of that, fruits of their labors went into a store of food that was divided between everyone. The lazy bones got as much as the go getter. Even facing starvation a few years in, this knowledge made the majority of workers do the bare minimum to avoid punishment. One early year, I canā€™t remember which, they got a decent crop and a boy playing around burned down their main store house. John Smith saved them all for a few years by his trading with the local natives. Fish were plentiful, but very seasonal. For the natives, and by extension the settlers, their food world revolved around corn.

3 Likes

Probably the Psophocrpus tetrogonolobus (pea or bean)

Also commonly grown in Asian tropical climates is Canavalia gladiata aka the sword bean. I couldnā€™t see what she planted well enough to tell, but the plants suggest they were not Phaseolus vulgaris. Iā€™ve grown sword beans and partridge peas. Very few people in the U.S. have.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about that. I lived in Japan for many years. They ate plenty of beef and extra fatty. If anything the bane of the American diet is sugar and there are no animal products there.

6 Likes

Sugar and breads from refined/de-germed grains.

2 Likes

Bread contains starch which breaks down into sugar. If the statement was made that eating beef is generally not healthy, especially in the amounts we consume, I would agree. Blaming obesity on eating beef is almost ludicrous. Eating red meat is connected with lots of health problems including fatty buildup in arteries and generally bad for the heart. It is not connected to obesity, especially when sugar is literally the elephant in the outhouse.

5 Likes

Korean people eat a lot of meat, donā€™t believe me, go to a Korean BBQ. They are super thin. I was thin when I was younger, but my husband had many business trips to Korea and he said the people there were very thin, implying I was not that thin. I wore size 4 or 6.
So that theory is a farce as I see it.

2 Likes

When in Rome do as the Romans doā€¦ but they failed. Plenty of civilizations and cultures have failedā€¦they all thought they were right also. Lots of cultures are warming up to our diet. Lots of American fast food restaurants all over the world and growing.

Perhaps our 400 year old culture is the correct model. Perhaps Fried Chicken and Southern BBQ and Two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles and onions on a sesame seed bun is the apex of human nutrition. Perhaps fries and extra cheese and mayo is the key to health. We love Pizza. Fried bread with extra cheese and extra meat is a fine American Pie.

900,000 acres of sugarcane? Yep thats how many America has.

Big Meat is spending millions of dollars to block future climate policiesā€¦ so anyone that is pro meat should really think that one out.

There is alot of profit in meat and sugar so its a touchy subject. Lots of money to be made on the backend with healthcare and big pharma as well. Its to the American interest to keep profits high and sickness profitable.

Im likely 100 percent wrong on all of this. But i find it interesting. The human condition is a mess no matter how you look at it.

2 Likes

Youā€™re assuming you can post one side of the climate thing and Iā€™ll not refer to it as a hoax?
If it had been about climate our President in 2015 shouldnā€™t have agreed USA cuts carbon emissions by 25% by 2025ā€¦but agreeing China could keep increasing the amount they put out for the next 15 years.
Thatā€™s the 2015 Paris Accords fact of the matter. Other agendas at play besides climate.
(If not for tsunamis and hurricanes, Iā€™d be buying up ocean front properties as the gullible ones sell and move to higher ground.)

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry what are we talking about? I thought it was about meat making you fat.

2 Likes

Every civilization and every human culture eventually fails. Based on history, no civilization lasted more than 500 years. I could argue that the culture represented by the United States is under 300 years old which means we have a long way to go before we are as old as Rome. Also, Rome did not fall because they ate meat. Rome was like a giant old oak tree that rotted out from the core until the tree was blown over in a strong wind. Rome decayed morally until they couldnā€™t even guard their own borders. Quit throwing red (meat) herrings! If you want to debate how people live, that is what this thread started to discuss. If you want to debate the ethics of meat consumption, start a thread for vegans.

6 Likes

Of course, Rome keeps bouncing back like the cat that has 9 lives.
Even Benito Mussolini got the title ā€œHoly Roman Emperorā€ from the hands of Pope Piux XI.

1 Like

I forgive you.

When you said that when you were in Japan people ate fat beefā€¦ Just like every conversation in which someone knows someone who did something. If we were talking about smoking, someone would know someone who smoked for 80 years.

But perhaps you were talking about Kobe, Bungo-gyu, Matsusaka, or Ohmi beef? Which is what i thought you meantā€¦ Japanese Wagyu is one of the worlds most coveted delicacies. And Wagyu is the epitome of meat with fat or the American term ā€œmarbledā€.

Why doesnt someone start a forum for Fruit Growers and Gardeners?

ā€œDiscussions of all aspects of fruit growingā€
https://growingfruit.org/about

There is no mention or place for meat and slaughter in this forum as far as i can tell?

https://growingfruit.org/categories

So I have proved my point in which eating meat is as emotion stirring as politics or religion. You have already asked me to leave the conversationā€¦and start my own. Bravo.

Start a thread for Vegans? Pass. That statement doesnt jive with the discussion guidelinesā€¦ you can do better than that.
https://growingfruit.org/faq

My logical move if i followed your tone would be to ask you and the carnivores to start a meat eater category. I decline to have that mentality.

Full circle. @clarkinks posted a video of people eating bamboo and living off the land. Perhaps he should have posted a video of hunters or people killing animals? But i think we can all agree that none of us want to see that. Yet the person who crosses the line of the meat eaters is asked to leave the discussion.

1 Like

Did you watch the video? She didnt get enough credit. Americans can argue but once the shoes come off in the garden she would show us how it is done for sure.

1 Like

@clarkinks i did watch the video.

I agree it would be tough to ā€˜really live off the landā€™ā€¦

Here is a guy who has done it for 13 yrsā€¦ and likely how i would have to do it myself if im being honest.

3 Likes