How productive is Nadia cherry plum?

I got Nadia scions this year from Burnt Ridge Nursery and had 100% failure. Not sure it is worth trying again next year vs buying a whole tree vs letting it go. How productive is Nadia? If you have a lot of productivity, what cultivar is your pollinizer? Thanks.

I’d say mine is average production,meaning there is not much thinning that needs to be done.The thing blooms abundantly.
Here is a link to probably the forum’s first thread about the Nadia.

There is not much information on this yet and everything seems to contradict each other on it. Some say cherries will pollinate it while others say you need a Japanese plum to pollinate it. From what I have heard it has it’s own taste on this forum while places like Raintree say it tastes similar to a cherry. I think it is still so née the verdict is still out. I could not even find if the parent surpreme cherry is a sweet cherry or not.

Mine set perfectly last year, maybe 6 years or so in. I think I mostly didn’t thin them and they sized up nicely. The fruits were of great quality without any special treatment.

I have a 4 in 1 pluot next to it, and a huge, probably seedling, sweet cherry also pretty near. Other Japanese plums that were flowering are 100 feet or so away.

Awesome! The other uncertainty for me is chill hours. Not sure if many southwestern or coastal people have had success with it?

Nadia may be difficult to obtain from a nursery due to its early bud swelling before most nurseries cut. If you can find a member with enough to spare and willing to cut scions early you may have better success with your grafts. This year I got two varieties from Fruitwood Toka and Beauty, both arrived already swelling, so I am hoping that they work. I got some Nadia from a local friend in Mid Feb, but they were already swelling, so they definitely need to be cut in Jan.
Dennis
Kent, wa

That was it. I had 100% success with the other grafts.

Maybe they are hard for scion. Raintree and Cummins nursery sale trees for it. It is just that you need to buy it a year in advance with commons and Raintree starts selling them in July and those are one of those trees that sale out early on.

Almost certainly it was your main issue, if the temps are in the 70’s when you grafted, and you did not use aluminum foil to cover the graft for the first week, your scions probably used up their sugar supply before callousing was complete enough to feed nutrients from the rootstock. I covered my swelling scions with foil during the first week and the first week was only in the high 40s, so I am hopeful that the lower temps helped prevent bud break before the second week of callousing. I should know soon if that worked.
Dennis
Kent, wa

That must have been it. It totally woke up. The freeze didn’t help either. San Diego is always 70 during the day so the buds do emerge.

I will try the foil next time!

My Nadia grafts from the original tree, purchased around 2016, are doing very well. Fruit production last season was 150+, more than enough for me. I grafted the scions to a three in one Satsuma, Shiro and Plumcot (that is what it said on the tag) and the other scion was grafted to a Burgundy plum. I suspect Flavor King helps to pollinate Nadia, it should be near by or grafted to the tree too. Once the graft takes, Nadia is a vigorous grower along with Hollywood. I can send you some Nadia scion wood in early January,
I am looking for a Burbank Cherry scion, mine died when the branch with it died.

Yes, Nadia is relatively vigorous and healthy so far for me too.

2 Likes

Nadia is very tasty fruit. With me it’s worth to plant the whole tree. My tree had about over 20 pounds of fruit on single tree after 4 years of planting. I think it’s fruiting either with or without pollinators.

1 Like

4 Likes

My Nadia this year. So happy with it. One Catalina plum next to it however the Catalina never has fruit yet.

5 Likes

Do you have a regular spray schedule for this tree similar to most other stone fruits?

1 Like

@disc4tw i never spay any chemicals to my trees yet. Some reason Nadia and Japanese plum they have better disease resistant than European plum.

1 Like

I usually think of the European plums as healthy, but this year they’ve been terrible. And heavily infested with aphids, other trees right next to them are fine. I attribute it to this spring’s weather.

Nadia may be my healthiest, lowest care, stone fruit - it and Shiro, are probably the most reliable and carefree for me, but Shiro needs more thinning.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Vincent! Obviously we may have more disease challenges on the east coast but I am beginning to entertain the idea of more disease resistant stone fruit as a multi-graft project.

Also thanks @murky for the report.

1 Like

Most Japanese plums are relatively easy in the east… the main issues with some varieties are rot issues and fruit set. And of course curculio on all plums. Nadia is super productive and not too prone to rot. It just didn’t ripen well for me, from underripe to mush in a blink of an eye. I am eating Shiros now and it hits all the bases for a great east coast plum.

2 Likes