How to Capture a Groundhog?

Ok… time to get the traps out again. I saw one in the yard a couple of days ago. I killed the last two but wound up feeling guilty about that. That was when the pears were ripening and they were eating them all and I was having trouble trapping them. I’ve got a little more time right now. We got raccoons instead which is still ok. We usually just take them across the bridge to the other side of the lake and let them go.

1 Like

Just an FYI…it is illegal almost everywhere to relocate rodents/wildlife. This short article sums it up pretty well.

2 Likes

Maybe that is how they got to your place…i.e. someone on the other side of the lake released them on your side. In my mind I don’t want to make my problem someone else’s. That would accrue more guilt than killing the animal humanely.

2 Likes

Sad to say, I saw our Fat Chuck a just a minute ago. Alive and well :weary:

1 Like

I haven’t seen mine yet. I have to name it! I’m starting to believe he’s dead or moved in to his girl friend’s place. One can hope…

2 Likes

Catch him while spring greens are few!

1 Like

Some people here call a groundhog a woodchuck. Ours is very well fed, hence, the name :smile:

1 Like

If they’re not going for the greens, try cantaloupe. I’ve had good success with that as bait too. I hope you get him.

2 Likes

Will try greens first. Don’t know what Fat Chuck has been eaten during the winter. He does not look like he missed a meal.

1 Like

I was not happy to see one in my backyard last week. I put an apple in a live trap and caught a racoon. I drove it a couple miles away to a undeveloped sub in the woods. The next day I see her running back down my driveway with a newborn baby in her mouth. The baby was squeaking - crying the whole time till she ran up into my big log pile.

1 Like

Wait until he puts on his top hat, and spectacles, and if he comes out of his hole scream “you have no shaddow!” He will look around to see if you are right, at that moment throw a cloak over him.

Sorry, but this had to be said! Lol
We need spring!

I just witnessed my two medium size dogs killed a groundhog! I am so happy! It is a first kill they did. That was a real team work. My previous pair never managed to kill anything, just chased.

6 Likes

if its green, they eat it!

1 Like

I think my count was 13 by the end of the year. I did see one this year but he was gone by the time I got to my gun. I haven’t seen him since but I’m sure I will. I will probably see plants missing first!

2 Likes

my neighbor had a pure black one on his lawn the other day. never seen one colored like that. if he shows up here i may have to get him mounted. :wink:

The old saying when capturing and killing animals is shoot, shovel and shut up. I dislike doing it, but it’s necessary for a crop. chipmunks are crazy overpopulated this year.

4 Likes

A groundhog has been destroying some of my peach trees, they are loaded down and the groundhog is causing limbs to break. GRRRRRR :anger:

Has anyone tried tanglefoot on trunks to deter groundhogs? I just put that on a few peach trees. I also set the trap up.

When baiting the trap do you wear gloves? Supposedly human smell scares them. I haven’t been doing that but maybe I should. So far I have never caught a groundhog, I have only annoyed them enough that they left…

2 Likes

i zip tie cardboard around the trap to make it look more like a dark hole , then bait with any kind of melon. they seem to like that. also put the trap in a shady area so they feel more secure. :wink: good luck!

I think best to find their hole…
Put a smoke bomb in there and cover

2 Likes

Good ideas thanks. I did cover the trap and put in a shadier spot. Getting some melon tomorrow at farmers market, hoping to find some seconds.

I know the rough direction of the burrow, it is not in my yard which makes it harder. The last one my dog dug out of the neighbors, he went completely nuts digging it up. Last I saw of that one… Too bad our dog died… now we have a puppy who loves to dig but is too young.

1 Like