How to Devour Durian fruit!

as @BobC indicated, some folks need to transform into a chameleon, shooting out a foot-long tongue to be able to taste without getting a whiff lol

young green coconuts are probably the closest thing i could think of. Technically not the fruit we are eating when eating coconuts, but actually the seed. But then again, the flesh that we eat when eating durian is also part of the seed(aril). Anyway, the flesh of very young/immature coconuts are unbelievably sweet(no need to add sugar!), and also relatively high in fat. It is at that stage when the sugars haven’t been transformed into coconut oil, or just starting to.
sadly though, the sweetness wanes with storage, so the green coconuts shipped from the tropics to usa aren’t as sweet as when butchered straight from the palm tree. Something other than durian(and all manner of tropical fruits)you’d definitely get to enjoy when you move to hawaii :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For Real Durain Afficionados: Durian smells like heaven and tastes like heaven! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Have you tried avocado smoothies?

1 Like

rhetorical question :wink:
it is a sundae i can have monday thru saturday, haha
of course had avocado ice cream as well, which is quite a staple in the philippine isles

Love it! Each time I was in Asia I looked forward to Duran any way I could get it.

I used to not like durian when I was younger. It was the smell that turned me off. One day, my mom somehow convinced me to try some, and I never looked back. The flavor and texture are luxurious. I go out of my way to find durian when I go visit family or vacation in southeast Asia. I was annoyed when I stayed in Bangkok, because eating it in public was forbidden in some places. Bringing it on the subway and skytrain was a no go too. My taxi driver freaked out when he found out a had a durian in my bags. Thankfully, in Viet Nam the rules are much more lenient as in they are lacking. Here are a bunch just laying on the sidewalk up the street from my grandma’s house.

Here I am during my school days at a durian orchard. I make sure not to stand directly beneath the fruit when I go to the orchards. It isn’t just the smell that’ll kill you. Death by durian does happen!

9 Likes

Yup, never stand directly under a durian tree that has fruit on it. You never know when one will fall. Better safe than sorry.

In general, eating durians in any enclosed, air conditioned is a nobgobexcept in your own home. There are plenty of people who cannot stand the smell. My niece’s husband has to eat it on his front porch because my niece (inside with door and windows closed) can’t stand the smell. The poor guy.

Love young, green coconuts, had many of them when I lived in Puerto Rico. So fatty, creamy and sweet. They were fabulous!!!

1 Like

Re: Durian:

Yuck.

Full stop.

Yuck.

Seriously, they will probably never be my thing. They’re intensely sweet and fragrant, but a lot of that fragrant is “rotten onions, if you pooped on them.”

That said, their flavor powers through. I made an EXCELLENT durian liqueur (said by friends from Indonesia and Singapore) adding a bunch of pulp to high-proof rum, steeping for a month, and filtering. Durian popsicles and other products are easy to find in Asian markets. I get why they are popular, but I really don’t see myself becoming a fan. If you ARE, liqueur might be a fun place to try extending your durian skills, since it is so easy…

My Monthong durian produces wonderful fruits this year, twelve fruits total

The taste is superb.

6 Likes

where are you growing those?

Big Island, Hawaii. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

good job, i am jealous! Durian as living specimens are a fairly recent introduction to usa, so your tree is extremely valuable

2 Likes

Monthong (gold pillow) is still the most popular and very expensive durian variety in Thailand after all these years. Your have a tree of gold on your land.

Have your given us your address yet ? :grin:

2 Likes

@bifig already pm’d whereabouts to me, and he don’t have enough durian fruit to share :grin:

3 Likes

Raf,
Don’t forget I know where you live.

@bifig - I can pronounce Mon-tong correctly. Would that win me a prize of fresh durian from your orchard? :smile:

2 Likes

forgot about that. I better behave myself lol

1 Like

The last four durians were harvested three weeks ago. We ate half and kept the other half in the freezer.

The tree was flowering again while the first set of fruits were still maturing. But most of the young fruits dropped, only a crooked one remains.

It’s yours if you can pick it up. :grin:

3 Likes

Can you ship it. Lol.

1 Like

No, it’s illegal to ship any parts of plants out of Hawaii without permit.

Since August, we have avocados more than we can handle. Would love to send some to our children in Colorado but no can do.

1 Like