How to Devour Durian fruit!

expect to have so much more next year, and then way more in subsequent years.
the species has a long productive life, and its production will only get better with time, and unlikely to decline in your lifetime, or even your children’s lifetimes. Main reason why @mamuang and myself consider it a gold mine, being a high-value crop

2 Likes

No kidding? I would take your words for it, @jujubemulberry

The grafted Monthong is 12 years old. Did not produce any fruits for the past few years. Last summer, I had the guava tree that planted next to the durian cut down because of too many guava fruits. I was so tired of cleaning the rotten fruits on the ground. Voila! the durian tree is thriving since… more fruits and bigger size. Even fruits twice this year for the first time.

We’ll see if it will do as well as this year or decide to take a rest.

BTW, it was a good guava variety too, called White Indonesian guava.

i think the only thing that would set you back might be an unusually cold december to february, which might temporarily affect its ‘mood’. A frost(if you actually get it in your region in hawaii) could result in dieback or death, and that would of course set you back severely or permanently.

btw, was a huge loss imo you had to cut down the guava. If it was casting shade on your durian, then that definitely held back your durian. Though still couldn’t help but grieve as i type this :wink:

I’m so jealous. My son’s college roommate is from Hilo, Hawaii. His parents grow everything but they can’t ship them to me either. I always wanted the lychees from them but no, it can’t be done. :disappointed:

1 Like

sometimes asian stores here(las vegas) sell longans and lychees shipped from hawaii. Of course commercial stuff went through proper channels, so would be different from a private person sending lychees via fedex. Hawaiian longans are bigger than those from southeast asia, and have darker brown peel, instead of light tan peel. Quality is otherwise similar.

1 Like

Oh, I live not very far from Hilo, about 20 miles down south.

BTW, I used to live in Zone 6 during my working years.

Wow! It is quite interesting to see how Hawaiians dressed in this zone. They bundled up in 80 degree weather here in the summer.:joy:

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see how he will survive our snowstorms!:joy:

Great looking guys! And I love Hawaii! Here in France because we are part of French Polynesia, we have a television channel devoted solely to fabulous hula competitions. They are beautiful!!

1 Like

Thank-you! I am very blessed with 3 teenagers and of course, we take in all of my son’s college roommates. They stay with us during breaks so the house has more boys than we can help it. It’s like a zoo all the time, but it’s fun😂 ; they grow so fast and I love every moment with them.

1 Like

Your picture makes me miss my children who both lives on the mainland. They usually come every year for visit but couldn’t make it this year because of the pandemic.

I am also Asian, and one of your sons looks like my son when he was at that age. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes