How to get ants to stop climbing your tree

How do I get ants stop climbing on my tree, I believe they have brought the major aphid infestation

2 Likes

Tanglefoot.

Thanks, is this stuff organic and for use on fruit trees

You may want to put a barrier on the bark to reduce the chances of damage to your tree prior to tanglefoot application. I assume it’s made from old dinosaurs so if you consider that organic…:wink:

2 Likes

:joy: I guess it’s ok, if I just put a plastic barrier on the ground around the trunk, it won’t do anything?

No, you’ll want the barrier above ground I think.

1 Like
1 Like

I meant like on the ground but letting it stick several inches above the ground around the trunk

I boraxed (organic) the ants that were getting into my ripe figs (in pots) and made an interesting discovery. They were keeping the yellow jackets off the figs. I had no more ants in the figs, but I had to be extra, extra careful not to grab a yellow jacket.

1 Like

I killed several young trees putting TF directly on the bark. Suggest wrap say 5 inches of trunk with surveyor flagging or tape (sticky side out) then TF and beware in hot weather a thick application of TF can run so I apply TF nearer the top of my protective wrap than the bottom.

2 Likes

wrap food plastic wrap around your tree trunk. Use disposable glove to apply tanglefoot on it. If you have any posts supporting your tree, apply it there too. Make sure that there is no way for ants to get up other then through tangle foot. It helps a lot, if you do it right.

3 Likes

Thanks guys I’ll try to get this, I forgot to mention this is more a bush so I can make multiple small wraps around each mini trunk