How to keep dogs out of (not raised) veggie beds?

My dog occasionally likes to sniff around in my beds. I need to keep her out of them. She broke off a bunch of tomato branches last year. Also, a family member’s dog occasionally comes to visit. I need some kind of temporary barrier…I’m curious if any of your have a creative solution…
Thanks!

1 Like

My dogs seem to get raised beds, and stays out. I still have problems with in ground spots. They just don’t get it? So I use a wire fence. Thick enough not to deform when moving. I just roll it up and put it in the shed.

1 Like

My neighbor solved his problem this way:
Purchased a shock collar
Installed a hurried wire loop around his whole property. As long as his dog stayed inside the perimeter all was well, but if the dog got within about 5 feet of the wire the shock would bring him back home!

1 Like

Buried wire loop

1 Like

Related question: how do you stop neighborhood cats from using the garden beds as litter boxes?

1 Like

If not a huge area, poking dried reeds along bed boundaries will deter them. I used perennial grass reeds as that was what I had.

2 Likes

I have that question too. I’d love to see a photo of your dried reed fence!

I was going to order some wire fencing to use as a trellis. Maybe I’ll get some extra and see if I can turn it into a make-shift dog fence

1 Like

The reeds were not really a fence. I’ve used random twig-like reeds as a 6" - 8" border on wooden container beds or scattered throughout a bed @ 5" apart. I don’t have pics as I have moved.

1 Like

I guess I’ll be experimenting with twigs. I use bird netting spread directly on the ground for the neighbor’s cat (not sure, never caught him in the act, could be a resident stray too). It works. But is a bit of a pain in the behind to keep tearing openings in it for the plants as things start to grow. It worked well in garden beds last year, now in the winter the dratted cat moved preference to my spring bulbs bed. I did a bit of a botched job with the netting there (just had leftover pieces) and it kept tearing it out. Maybe it got more insistent because most other ground is hard in winter? New netting is now pinned down more thoroughly. We’ll see.
The cat also seems not fond of “shredded cedar mulch” - I can see how, it has infuriating microscopic burs that bury in your fingers. Not much help for garden beds but an option for ornamental stuff. He mostly left those areas alone.

1 Like

Shoot them!!

Then I’d have to start killing or trapping the rodents!

If that solves the problem…