How to make Santa Rose J. plum bloom?

brownmola,Thanks for sharing your experiences… These flower buds are beautiful! hope you will start to get good crop . Meanwhile. I plan to start to practice my grafting this year and graft some branches with other plum variety so I don’t get so anxiously waiting for the Santa Rose.

1 Like

I’ve had really good success using cleft grafts and parafilm with my plums, over 90% take. I don’t think I am skilled enough to do other types of grafting.

Thanks, brownmola. I will get some parafilm when I start to graft my fruit trees.

Are these plum flower buds??

Yes, some are flower buds.

Yes. See the buds circled in red. These are flower buds :blush:

hooray!!! :muscle: :pray: :smile:

Thank-you very much, hoosierquilt, for identifying which buds were flower buds. I was never quite sure which were which on my budding trees, so that really helped. Good luck, IL847. Maybe this will be your year!

Thank you all. Will report back once I got fruits harvested, hopefully.

@brownmola do you have any update with your santa rosa and satsuma? How would you rank those two fruits against red heart and Italian prune plum?

I pulled the Satsuma as it rarely fruited over a span of 5 or 6 years. It could have been easily mislabeled though. The Beauty plum also got cut down as it produced a heavy amount of fruit one year and next to nothing the other 5 or 6 years. I only have Santa Rosa grafts that I put in last year but other people I know like their Santa Rosa a lot in this area.

1 Like