How to prune a IE mulberry?

I’m trying to keep an Illinois Everbearing mulberry from growing too tall. I pruned it as shown bellow. I has now grown so dense that I can hardly find the fruit. Anyone have a suggestion on pruning IE. This winter I’ll cut it back to about 5 branches and see how that works unless some one has a better idea.

2 Likes

The best way to collect ripe mulberry is to place a plastic sheet under the tree and shake it. All the ripe fruits will drop on your plastic sheet.

Tony

2 Likes

The wild mulberries around here will resprout from the stump to form a bush. Does that work for “real” mulberries?

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about pruning my mulberries within the next month or so. In theory, that lets them grow new fruiting wood without me losing out on a season, but I have no empirical evidence. Maybe I’ll just experiment on one this year.

1 Like

I’m​ I’d like to know also. In 2 or 3 years I’ll be removing an Illinois Everbearing. I will be able to cut it down to a stump to see what happens if no one has the answer now.

1 Like

On mulberries resprouting I have noticed they tend not to once the stump is around 6 inches and larger .

2 Likes

Curious to know: How did that work out? Did the IE mulberry resprout from the trunk? Thank you!