How to prune/shape my American Persimmon tree?

The is a 5 feet tall Prok persimmon that I planted last summer. I don’t know how to prune it or shape it or how these things are best pruned / shaped. This picture is actually from a month ago. Right now it is fully leafed out. By the way I received it like this (no pruning from me so far). I was too busy to post back then. Photo is shown below. I also linked a Youtube video. Here is my description of it:

• 5 ft tall trunk
  • lower branch points right (kind of has a narrow branch angle - don’t know if that matters)
  • up top I have 4 closely spaced branches
  • I have a bud/green new branch growing towards the cameraman that wasn’t present at the time of the video/photo. It is located midway between the branch going right and the branches up top.

I appreciate your help and expertise.

Video:

This is a very subjective, personal decision so consider this my opinion only.

1. I don’t like low scaffolds. I’d remove the low branch.

2. Two of your scaffolds (on the left of the picture) are somewhat on top of one another. The upper one will shade the lower one. Remove one of them. I’d probably remove the upper one. That would leave you with three well-spaced scaffolds.

3. Remove the tips from the three scaffolds (if you haven’t done it already) to promote branching.

4. Remove any shoots that are growing upward (i.e., emerging from the top of a scaffold), downward (i.e., emerging from the bottom), or inward (i.e., pointing toward the center). Also remove any shoots that are emerging close to the central leader. You want to be cultivating two shoots on each scaffold that will become sub-scaffolds. These should be pointing out from the center, not up or down.

American persimmon is a very vigorous grower. You should focus this year on developing those sub-scaffolds. You should be able to get 3-4’ of growth on each sub-scaffold IF you suppress competing growth.

1 Like

Prok

JT02

I grafted Prok and JT02 to wild DV seedlings last spring. They grew last season to be 7 to 13 ft tall.

This spring i pruned them to a height of around 6 ft and then notched scaffold branches in the top area… those are developing nicely now.

I removed all lower growth… have deer pressure here so keeping my scaffolds up higher on the tree.

Good Luck to you !!!

1 Like