How to remove wasps from the house

I’ve tried directly spraying these guys with wasp/hornet spray, and it was like giving them a bath. So I got a different brand and it was the same thing. Today, I sprayed them with a pretty strong concentration of triazicide and they don’t appear to be phased. Should I try liquid seven? I only have the powder on hand. I took a video of them in case that helps to identify what type of wasp they are.

2 Likes

If they are in the house I’d hesitate to spray them at all -you have to live with that stuff too! But if they are outside a can of clear acrylic lacquer will weight them down.

2 Likes

I guess the video isn’t working so I’ll just remove it. They built a nest in the jamb above the garage door. I cannot see this nest, I can only see where they are entering it.

They are on the smaller side and mostly yellow with black stripes. They don’t look like any carpenter bees I can see on Google Images, they look like smaller versions of those really nasty German wasps. These guys seem to be pretty docile compared to those. I spray them with poison and they just fly around me. Many of them are carrying pretty good sized cargo into their nest. I let it go on for several weeks after I first noticed them and failed to kill them with the wasp spray. It’s something I really ought to be taking care of.

1 Like

You might have better luck when it’s dark and cold -

2 Likes

Go there after sunset. Look carefully for the nest. You really need to spray right into the nest and spray a lot - like full bottle of the wasp/hornet spray. If you can’t see the entrance, foam whole crack, may be even use more than one bottle. Just make sure it is after sunset, so all of them are in. The spray works well, if you manage them to have contact with it.

4 Likes

Try a 4/1mix of Dawn and water. That has killed most bees/wasps I’ve had to work with.
It will be safer in the house.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that sometime later. If this doesn’t work. I just picked up one for $1.50 at Aldi.

1 Like

Smoke them out and manually destroy the nest

1 Like

Just for kicks I tried the soapy water in the afternoon, got a couple to fall to the ground.

I had this thing lying around:

Now this one killed dozens. I let that nest get way too big. These are the most docile wasps I was swatting them with this and none of them tried to sting me. I’ll go back tonight and try soapy water.

1 Like

I can’t even see the damn nest.

1 Like

Can you see where they are coming out?

1 Like

Yes

Take a shop vac with a skinny nozzle, or rig a skinny nozzle with a piece of PVC and duct tape and such. Also, take a footie or the foot of a nylon stocking and stick it into the vacuum’s hose before you stick the skinny nozzle on. It should make a nice pocket in the hose. When you’ve sucked up a load they’ll all be trapped in the stocking. Also works great for spiders & flies, lost earings under the dresser, and so on.

1 Like

I’ll have to try that one tomorrow evening. I went back out with the swatter
and spent some more “quality time” by the garage door, and must have killed 100 today.

3 Likes

Any way to just seal them in and would that be acceptable?

A good idea. You could honestly just get touch up paint and paint over it nice and thick, I have to imagine that would do irreparable damage.

1 Like

I’ve got this foam sealer that I plan to use once I have them killed, to prevent more from moving in.

1 Like